Prs Ce 24 Tuners

hi i have a prs ce24 from 1997 with the wing back locking tuners. i d like to replace them but have not had much luck. i tried the following tuners: schaller m6 locking, schaller m6 mini, and some gotohs from an ibanez. in all thre instances the tuner posts are to short( well shorter then the original tuners). Can anyone reccommend a suitable replacement for the original prs tuners?

thanks, Adam

I have a set of those Grovers. I like them a lot - very smooth and precise with the 18:1 ratio, and they don't have that big thumbscrew on the backside like some of the other locking tuners.

The posts are a little taller than regular tuners, but they work fine with an angled headstock. They take a 25/64" (10mm) hole.

Grover, Schaller, Gotoh, you really can't go wrong with any of them - they all make quality tuning machines.

Mike

I put grover locking tuners on all my guitars...I like the minis though, they're lighter weight too. They're also less expensive than the other brands, and work just as well.

But I'm curious as to why you want to change your tuners, if you already have locking tuners?

It's not like one brand works better than the others, when it comes to locking tuners, that is.

Weird though...I've changed the tuners on six guitars, and not once have I had an issue with the height of the tuners.

I put grover locking tuners on all my guitars...I like the minis though, they're lighter weight too. They're also less expensive than the other brands, and work just as well.

But I'm curious as to why you want to change your tuners, if you already have locking tuners?

It's not like one brand works better than the others, when it comes to locking tuners, that is.

Weird though...I've changed the tuners on six guitars, and not once have I had an issue with the height of the tuners.

i dont like the wing back prs t unners kinda hard to change the strings, im lookking for a more traditional looking tuner. the grovers looks good though.

The Grovers should do the trick for you then.  Easy to use and traditional looking.

But make sure the holes are the right size first.  :D

actually the schaller m6 are the excact match. so now i have to decide wether i want locking or standard tuners. the m6 are the standard tuners or i can get a set of prs phase II locking tuners (currently used by prs on ce's). the price difference is about $30 m6 vs prs

Then the Grovers should fit. I would definitely go for locking tuners.

Just my opinion, but I think the PRS Phase II are a little odd-looking with that thumbscrew thing on top. But to each his own.

The Grovers are nice and clean looking and all you have to do it pull the string through and turn the knob. They lock themselves without having to mess with a thumbscrew. And the higher 18:1 ratio is great for fine tuning.

does the tunner post hieght effect wether the guitar will stay in tune or how it sounds?

for example if i replaced the tuners on my ce with a set of tunners with shorteter post (string holes completeley accessible) would that make a difference? essentially the strings would be closer to the headstock with the shorter post tunners.

thanks, Adam