Jam Guitar

Well i think im gonna make an ultimate jam guitar cuz my strat is very versatile in the tone category, but has weak sustain, only 21 frets, brighter tone than id like for some of the stuff i play, and not the fastest neck. Seeing what i feel like i need how can i take these needs and make them into an awesome jam guitar. When i write stuff with my group i usually create alot of the chord progressions, some riffs, and alot of the effects and sounds.

So what kind of things should i take into consideration when i got to start building and ordering parts for a custom guitar?

So what kind of things should i take into consideration when i got to start building and ordering parts for a custom guitar?

Ideas would help :D Seriously. You'll sometimes want one guitar one minute, and another the next. Try searching the in progress and finished work for ideas. Some people's idea for the ultimate jam guitar are the famous B.C Rich guitars with 15 different gizmos on it, and some people just need the right pickups, woods, style of neck and colour.

The ultimate guitar for me would be this...

I'm not telling. lol

You may want an Ibanez Wizard II style neck (since it's thinner than fenders).

One guy I heard instead of using a skunk stripe in his guitar, used a small piece of metal, and when he went to play live he'd either put a lubricant on his thumb or on the the metal, and he says his speed has improved :D . Other than that why not just a non-glossy clear coat on the neck?

A 24 fret neck might be better since according to some, the 21 and 22 is under a natural harmonic causing you to get that high tone.

You could always turn down your tone knob, or throw an EQ pedal in maybe.

Is your strat a knock off, a squire or fender?

I read that a lot of knock offs have terrible wiring, butcherd jobs and that if you redo the wiring it'll definitly make a difference.

-Jamie

Edited by sepultura999

Yes. Build your own. Seriously. I have tried a sustainer system on a jackson and it sucked. I haven't tried the homemade one yet, but you can listen to sustainer sounds and all here, and inquire about building your own. PSW should help you out as well.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...ic=7512&st=1110

There's the thread to building your own.

Since it's an actual Fender, you shouldn't have to go about rewiring your guitar. The thing is you're going to need to explore ideas on your own. It's like asking what's the best pedal out there for distortion. You're going to get so many different opinions that it could become an argument. You may want a varitoneswitch (ask BigD if you want one), or an onboard tremolo, or reverb (Kay guitars had that back then).

I think in the end you may just want to stick with what you have now, change the pickups, and sand down the neck.

-Jamie

i dont know about this. but what about a hybrid of all your fav things on guitars.

i like fenders for comfort, but i hate the style so i never touch them, also i prefer the raunchier sound from a humbucker. but spikey geetars never make good lap sitters.

its been done before, but what about slapping a humbucker (or two) into a fender style guitar.

comfort with sound.

My suggestion is maybe you want to build a guitar that is versatile in switching options. Google "GM arts" and you'll find a lot of stuff under pickups about wiring especially look at what he used on his strat. He did what PRS sorta does on the 513 where there are 5 i believe single coil pickups that can each be activated. You could also check www.guitarnuts.com for a lot of switching options that offer versatility. You could have a selection for each pickup and each in combination with switches for parallel/series or in-phase and out of phase.

Edited by Phont24

Ok some confusion is going on here and ill straighten it up....

Im not building a strat, i have a standard that is already customized with pickups from swineshead, its set and good to go.

Now the one im gonna be building, im gettin parts from Warmoth, and i think im doin something like a telecaster, with the raunchier side of a heavy guitar.

Now, was ist a Fernandes Sustainer System? and it sucked? Thats depressing if so becuase id really like to have one to experiment with, So i guess for better sustain i need a hardtail bridge right?