Trem Springs Settings In Back Cavity

:D Hi dear fellows i have a maybe rather stupid question to ask wonder if any would spend his or her time for this question? simple as this goes :

well days b4 i took out my tremolo for a clean up and also messed up with the springs original configuration anyway thats when my problem begun as i string back my guitar placing three of the springs in parallel , get the guitar tuned up setted my bridge's action and soon i realised that my guitar wont get in tune as it used to be when i do an extreme bending of my third G strings way up high at the 15 frets ....

soon after some research sending pretty much emails to floyd rose company and etc .. i then resetted my springs to a "tent" shaped configuration means three springs that spread out wide apart from a common point, i did my usual tune up reset my bridge action again to flush with my guitar body and sure it works that my guitar didnt get much out of tune as it was with the parallel springs settings ...

yet i have this query in mind that is its ok to get my springs setted to a "tent" shaped configuration or it must be the good old parallel springs settings? i'll hope u guys can give me a better understanding of my jackson SL2H's tremolo spring's setup :D

Did you adjust the spring claw?  There's a difference in spring tension depending on how you set them up - parallel or "tent" configuration.

Hi dear bro ,thanks for ya views on this topic and replies ohh yeah your correct i did adjust my spring claw and i found out a theory behind this for parallel you gotta loosen the spring claw for a flush bridge tremolo where with a "tent" shaped the tension would be tighter when u need to tighten the spring claw . so much about this for a "tent" shaped set up now that my guitar is set for a tighter tension playing and strings being less out of tune when i do my so called extreme bending at higher frets .......

but will the tight tension of my spring setup place a comin treat to my trussrod?? and the ability of my neck to tolerate this higher tension thingy?? if there is a need for me to adjust my truss rod for that??

The tension on the neck will not change.

That is only affected by the gauge of strings you use and the pitch to which you tune them. The trem springs are only countering the string tension in order to keep the bridge floating level.

When you talk out being out of tune when you do extreme bends, are you referring to the floating bridge sagging forward? That is a trait inherent to all fully-floating tremolos.

I have a Tremsetter on mine and it eliminates that problem, plus the guitar sustains much, much better. :D

Mike

"In reply to ibanez crazy"

Hi there thanks for ya care to reply :D so i guess your playing at a tighter tension for a "tent" configuration . u did fine tune your truss rod and also bridge seems easier to set itself way back to the zero position??

i did have my springs setted for a parallel setttings after seeing many professional guitarist's pics but it didnt work out for me as my strings keep getting out of tune and when i do a dive my strings gets way off !! too

having my springs setted up in parallel was a way loose for the overall strings tension and my springs more prone to spring's squeals .

Edited by kamikazi

The tension on the neck will not change.

That is only affected by the gauge of strings you use and the pitch to which you tune them.  The trem springs are only countering the string tension in order to keep the bridge floating level.

When you talk out being out of tune when you do extreme bends, are you referring to the floating bridge sagging forward?  That is a trait inherent to all fully-floating tremolos.

I have a Tremsetter on mine and it eliminates that problem, plus the guitar sustains much, much better.  B)

Mike

oh hi mike :D thanks for ya really fast reply on my query :D yeah when i do my extreme bends the bridge did sags forward and i was thinking maybe a "tent " shaped springs settings placed a rather tighter condition therefore my bridge reacts better in returning to its original zero position when i release a bend .

I did reset my claw so the bridge sat level. I had a problem like your having with a BC rich I had. No matter how may springs or how they were configured, I would always be out of tune after I used the bar. The block on the bottom of the trem was the problem. The metal used for the block was not very rigid, and it would bend ever so slightly untill one of the springs actually came out(took about a year). Since the trem has been replaced, no problems.

I did reset my claw so the bridge sat level.  I had a problem like your having with a BC rich I had. No matter how may springs or how they were configured, I would always be out of tune after I used the bar.  The block on the bottom of the trem was the problem.  The metal used for the block was not very rigid, and it would bend ever so slightly untill one of the springs actually came out(took about a year). Since the trem has been replaced, no problems.

Hi ibanez crazy hehe thanks for ya info on that too hearing your tremolo in that condition also breaks me heart dude thats a BC rich !!! well i think i gotta change my tremolo then from overseas hope that works out :D

gosh i think for that particular block that the cawl hooked on which came loose its gotta take a great amount of shock for your tremolo system!! hehe anyway is nice hearing your guitar going top condition but i checked my tremolo its block stays fit and hardy i dont know if my knife edge does hurts or damage kakaka