Router Sweeps

Nitefly SA

My rule of thumb has always been "don't make passes any deeper than the radius of the bit." It works like a charm for me. Although, I'm normally a bit conservative when I'm using 1/2" and larger bits.

peace,

russ

That seems to be the right approach to take, and is what I do.

I did search but i couldnt find anything, how deep do yopu guys normally go with each pass with a router, a simpl x/y" will do, thanks

For a crucial route, I'd go extremely conservative, you've got nothing to loose from making extremely shallow passes at first, until you're sure you've gotten control of the thing. Even still, you'll discover pretty quickly that it's not all that much more difficult to make five shallow passes than one deep one.

Practice on scrap first, that's the main thing.

I did search but i couldnt find anything, how deep do yopu guys normally go with each pass with a router, a simpl x/y" will do, thanks

For a crucial route, I'd go extremely conservative, you've got nothing to loose from making extremely shallow passes at first, until you're sure you've gotten control of the thing. Even still, you'll discover pretty quickly that it's not all that much more difficult to make five shallow passes than one deep one.

Practice on scrap first, that's the main thing.

+1

And remember, moving slowly is NOT always better. You want to find the speed where the router/bit doesn't have to be pushed hard to cut, and fast enough so it doesn't have a chance to overheat/burn the wood and the bit.