What Do I Need For ...

araz

I recently finished my first guitar, you can see it here guitar and my amp is a Marshall G215RCD (will open a pdf) . Now I want to play with guitar tones and record on a PC.

I have been reading and reading about tone/amp modeling, ins/outs, recording via USB, software, etc. I feel I’m going around in circles. Can someone help me out?

These are the things I want to do:

Create and fine tune guitar tones (amp modeling included)

Use these tones live (i.e. plug into an amp, just in my house; without needing a PC)

Record these tones as tracks on a PC

Add mutiple tracks (guitars, bass, drum, etc) to make a song

So what hardware and software do I need to do all of the above?

So far, I’v researched Line 6 products like the POD XT that will enable tone creation and can plug directly into an amp but can’t figure out if it includes the software for recording and track editing. Then there’s TonePort that can also create tones and record but I think I can’t play live.

Any ideas?

Araz

I recently finished my first guitar, you can see it here guitar and my amp is a Marshall G215RCD (will open a pdf) . Now I want to play with guitar tones and record on a PC.

I have been reading and reading about tone/amp modeling, ins/outs, recording via USB, software, etc. I feel I’m going around in circles. Can someone help me out?

These are the things I want to do:

Create and fine tune guitar tones (amp modeling included)

Use these tones live (i.e. plug into an amp, just in my house; without needing a PC)

Record these tones as tracks on a PC

Add mutiple tracks (guitars, bass, drum, etc) to make a song

So what hardware and software do I need to do all of the above?

So far, I’v researched Line 6 products like the POD XT that will enable tone creation and can plug directly into an amp but can’t figure out if it includes the software for recording and track editing. Then there’s TonePort that can also create tones and record but I think I can’t play live.

Any ideas?

Araz

Indeed the pod xt does not record and let you mix/edit tracks, just lets you control the tone. For the recording part you need some kind of software like pro tools/cubase.

Yes, the POD XT is good for recording. I have the guitarport in my room/home studio and according to many many reviews, the pod is better sounding than the XTLive.The XT also use the same software as the guitarport to conect via usb. However, to get good recordings, thats not all you need. Here's what I have in my mini fun studio over 1 1/2 years:

Ableton Live 4 & 5 - Good And Very Easy Recording and editing software !! MUST BUY. hmmm...Or steal from LimeWire. :D

Line6 GuitarPort - Guitar to PC for Amps

Digitech RP100A Artist - Pedal for good distorted and versitile tones

7.1 Dolby ProLogic II sound system - Feels like being Live

Recording guitars, 1 for single-coil, 1 for Acoustic, 1 for Humbuckers and Roland GK built in

Roland GR30 (ScndHand) - Amazing Synth for cool sounds and instruments

Yamaha D55 for drums - check it out!

And lastly a couple of overdrive homemade pedals.

Now with this kinda gear, it is just borderline to getting some good sounds and 24bit recording and no hum and techno stuff like that.

• 2 weeks later...