Simple Midi Footswitching System

GregP

Hey all,

I now have 2 MIDI devices with a total of 3 1/4" Stereo jacks which accept footswitches. Any old footswitch will do, because the devices do all the processing and the switches just create or break a circuit.

What I want to do is create a MIDI floorboard. I don't have the skill to retrofit an actual wah/volume pedal yet, but I have a cheap expression pedal that works, so that's not a problem. The only thing I need to do are the very basic footswitches. Of course, being the kind of guy that I am, I just HAVE to make it more complicated than it needs to be....

An amp footswitch "latches" like any other pedal. You press it once, the circuit is "on" and you can release your foot. Press it again, and the circuit is "off" and you can release your foot. But a MIDI sustain pedal is momentary. It's only "ON" as long as you hold your foot in place. Ideally, I'd like to have 3 footswitches that can alternate modes.

Is it possible without processor-based circuitry (ie. I just want simple switches and soldering) to set it up so that I have 3 footswitches, each also connected to a "latch / momentary" selector to determine the operation mode of the footswitch? Any advice on how to do this, or a generic shopping list (ie. "you need 3 dptp footswitches and 3 ____ switches" would be handy!

Thanks,

Greg

Update:

I swung by an electronics store and grabbed a cheap-o momentary switch just to do some 'testing'. As it turns out, my software can detect the momentary switch but still treat it as a latch, so the 2-switch system is unecessary.

Now the only thing I need to decide is:

- To buy 3 low-quality footswitches (and I mean full-on MIDI "sustain/hold" pedals) they're MADE for the job, but aren't great) - $15 ea.

- To buy 3 medium-quality switches from the electronics store and build the thing in either a metal project box or a handmade wood box (switches = $15 ea, plus 3 1/4" plugs, plus cable) This will already be more expensive than the pre-made footswitches

- To go all-out and get 3 heavy-duty footswitches ($20 ea) plus plugs and cable. This will end up running up a total cost of almost $100 for the box, switches, and everything else needed.

- To try to acquire and cannibalize old stomp-boxes to house the switches. I'd probably need to replace the switches since they're keyed to circuit boards and are usually latch rather than momentary.

- To design a "chassis" of some sort with 3 rocker pedals. With the right design, the chassis would prevent heavy abuse of the switches, and the switches themselves could therefore be cheaper.

Of course, if anyone has a Canadian source for heavy-duty footswitches that don't cost $20, that's something else to consider. :D

Any ideas?

Greg

Sorry, but if these things you'[re trying to control are midi, why bother trying to build a controller that will cost as much as a proper MIDI controller like the FCB1010?

S

ukfg

PS: what you want to do is possible quite simply :P

Try banzaieffects.com

be alot cheaper :P

Well, that was my point, too...

MIDI footswitch system =$150. So if I went with all the top-of-the-line switches from the one source I know of, it's pointless. :D

If I can put 3 momentary switches that will stand up to... er... being stood on!... for ~$30, then I'm golden!

I'll check that site out.

Just checked, what a cool site! Unfortunately, European so it might not be worthwhile to get anything shipped to Canada. :D Very cool, though! Oh wait... I know the guys from JRR Shop, who happen to be dealers. Sent from the States is probably cheaper than sent from Europe, so it might still pan out... B)

Greg

try someone like smallbearelec (google it); they're in the states and good. Mouser is probably a good bet. All you need is 3 momentary switches, three jacks and decent die cast box (oh, and some solder and wire). Should be able to do that for about $30-40US easily :D

Just think about what happens if you want to expand your setup, midi system might be cheaper in the longrun B)

:D

Well, the TonePort UX2 only accepts footswitches via 1/4" jacks anyhow (the third would go to the PCR-M50 keyboard), so the money wouldn't be completely wasted.

Plus it'd be kind of fun. :D I DID see a used footswitching system (sans expression pedals) for only $40 that was tempting, but it was so beat-up that I just couldn't do it.

Greg

Do your midi devices have a traditional midi output/input as well? If so, would you be interested in a behrenger midi footswitch? I have one that was barely ever used. It's been sitting around doing nothing for like 2 years. It has 10(I think) footswitches with 2 additional switches that let you scroll through the 10 banks(so that's 100 avaiable channels). It has 2 1/4" inputs that act just like a normal amp switch. It also has two expression pedals. You can assign each switch multiple functions. I think I paid like $150 for it. I'd sell it for like $65+shipping.

peace,

russ

Edited by thegarehanman

Yup, I'd be interested. I don't want to say an absolute "yes" just yet until I get a chance to calculate shipping and conversion, but my ears are certainly perked way up!

If I decide not to take it, I can get a buyer for you in SECONDS at either Channel 6 or KvR Audio, should you decide that you could use $65. :D Heck, I shouldn't even mention it or my opportunity will be gone. :D

Do your midi devices have a traditional midi output/input as well? If so, would you be interested in a behrenger midi footswitch? I have one that was barely ever used. It's been sitting around doing nothing for like 2 years. It has 10(I think) footswitches with 2 additional switches that let you scroll through the 10 banks(so that's 100 avaiable channels). It has 2 1/4" inputs that act just like a normal amp switch. It also has two expression pedals. You can assign each switch multiple functions. I think I paid like $150 for it. I'd sell it for like $65+shipping.

peace,

russ