Building My First Guitar

Well, time to start my first guitar. It’s gonna be a Telecaster copy with a poplar body, 22 fret maple neck , rosewood fingerboard. The bridge will be a Gotoh style wraparound. For pickups I’m planning on using P90’s. :D

It’ll look something like this, but I haven’t yet decided on the finish .

1TELE25.jpg

Wood and neck

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. :D

Edited by MoCaster

Welcome to PG MoCaster... :D

Sounds like a great first go and a real rocker, nice and simple and a promise of a unique tone.

Only comment for me at this point is that with the wraparound bridge it will be higher than a tele or start bridge so you are likely to want to tilt that neck back gibson style to get it to work out...

Enjoy...pete

Yeah, I know about the issue about the bridge and I will probably have to add a slight angle to my neck pocket. So I will have to wait until the bridge arrives until I can do any routing for the neck.

Hopefully I can get the body blank glued up and the body cut this week, but I am gonna have to rig up my router to plane the wood. :D I tried planing with hand planes but that didn't go too well. :D

Any reason for the choice of the TOM? Seems to me you could go with a hardtail bridge, you won't have to worry about the neck angle...don't know about having an angled 25.5" scale neck, might feel weird?

I think a better option is to recess the bridge into the body a bit (I prefer the wraparounds too). But definitely wait until you have all your parts.

I like the pickguard, though the knobs look a little naked without the control strip....

And everytime I see a P90, it makes me want to build another guitar... :D

You could also just make the neck mroe proud of the top of the body, couldn't you? Might take some getting used to but it's not that hard. After a few days all that space between the strings and body doesn't bother you.

Yep, this is true--the guitar I just finished has a huge space between the strings and the body, and it doesn't bother me one bit. In fact, I kind of like it, since I tend to dig down deep with the pick. This guitar, of course, has a two-tiered pickguard, which brings that part of the pickguard up to where it would normally be.