My Customs

th_bass3003.jpg

th_SOFTTOPANDDRAGON019.jpg

Hi there hope the pictures work.These are two guitars that I recreated.The six string was a 60,s Kent that i bought off of Ebay for $20.I infilled all the routes with mahogany and carved the dragon onto the body and levelled the rest down.The electronics were simply an afterthought.The bass is a Pb copy that a friend gave me and is the final stages of completion.Again this was carved directly into the body.It was finished in antique white lacquer and the skull was highlighted with a black glaze.I had to make the copper pickguard to suite the carving.It was burnished with a small buffing wheel and rubbing compound.I am now running my own bodies to get more control over the whole process and am using my own blanks that have been glued up for over 15 years.Thanks for looking

Nice work...not my thing, but still.

I wonder about the neck joint on the dragon guitar --seems like it'd be uncomfortable to play on the treble side...looks a little dopey too, leaving it that thick. Maybe that's the way it was originally?

But if you can do this, then you can make your own bodies, no problem. I'll be real curious to see what you come up with!

Nice work...not my thing, but still.

I wonder about the neck joint on the dragon guitar --seems like it'd be uncomfortable to play on the treble side...looks a little dopey too, leaving it that thick. Maybe that's the way it was originally?

But if you can do this, then you can make your own bodies, no problem. I'll be real curious to see what you come up with!

If anything both guitars ended up thinner than origional.The silver guitar is strung with superlight strings to compensate for the loss of mass.It was never meant as a true player but everytime I turn around my kid is playing ACDC on it. Thanks for the interest

Really nice work! It's hard to tell from your pictures how thick the carve is, but it appears very cleanly executed and classy. The grey one is one of the most original guitars I've seen in a long time; you should really considering entering it in the Guitar of the Month competition (Found pinned in the Announcements section), as it would really give some of the entries a run for their money. Anyway, I'd rather not see Perry Ormsby win again... :D

In all seriousness, though, I really like it. If I were any good at carving, I'd be tempted to do something like it. The only change I'd make is switching that bridge out for a brushed chrome-- or even matching grey-- bridge, and get some matching silver knobs. You've got a great color scheme going for you; why not go all the way with it?

On a side note, have you seen the guitars by this guy?

I like your stuff better, but if you're into carving on guitars, this guy seems to be where it's at.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing more work from you. :D

Edited by skibum5545

Really nice work! It's hard to tell from your pictures how thick the carve is, but it appears very cleanly executed and classy. The grey one is one of the most original guitars I've seen in a long time; you should really considering entering it in the Guitar of the Month competition (Found pinned in the Announcements section), as it would really give some of the entries a run for their money. Anyway, I'd rather not see Perry Ormsby win again... :D

In all seriousness, though, I really like it. If I were any good at carving, I'd be tempted to do something like it. The only change I'd make is switching that bridge out for a brushed chrome-- or even matching grey-- bridge, and get some matching silver knobs. You've got a great color scheme going for you; why not go all the way with it?

On a side note, have you seen the guitars by this guy?

I like your stuff better, but if you're into carving on guitars, this guy seems to be where it's at.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing more work from you. :D

Thanks I truly appreciate your kind words.The parts were bought off of Ebay at the cheapest prices.The 6 string has gold hardware and chrome tuners.I never expected that this guitar would actually get finished.The carving came way before any thought of making it play.I even wacked off a fret to add the neck pickup./I truly am proud of my guitars and your support on guitar of the month increases my self asteem like no body,s business.As to the other carved guitars I just find them gaudy and overdone.I will never build a guitar that has a wizard and a wench with a heaving bosom.If you want to carve a guitar just find a guitar that has no monetary value and go nuts!!It takes minimal tools and lots of patience.Rough out with a router and keep your chisels sharp and then sand until your fingers hurt.p.s. Iuse a rotozip to rough out,freehand is way easier.The grey guitar looks better but the bass is technically far supereior.By the way I still have lacquer all over my hands from respraying about an hour ago.Sorry to be so long winded but this is definitely my thing.Thank you! thank you !!!