I just got my book in the mail today and I just finished reading it.

It is a great book and an easy and very informative read. It covers very indepth the diffrent clear finishes and sanding slealers, grain fillers, finish coloring options, tools for spraying and buffing, sandpapers and abrasives, has finish "recipies" and a great walk through with nice gloss color photos on how to spray an acoustic guitar with stewmac waterbase laquor. It even has info on paint booth building. The book mainly focuses on nitrocellulose but about 98% of what it has to say applies to almost all the guitar finishes.

I've learned tons in the 188 pages and have got all my finish questions answerd. I highly recomend anyone who has finishing issues or questions to buy this book. It's $30 well spent!

Edited by Godin SD

I got the video, Spray Finishing Basics, which EVERYONE who wants to learn how to paint should buy it. It comes in a 2 pack, one for the basics including, spraying, paint types, gun settings, time frames, buffing, ect and the other is for sunbursting. It's a GREAT video!!

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Video,_DVD,_so...ing_Videos.html

Godin, I highly recommend you get it! You thought that book was great, this video rocks!!

(I am not endorsed by Stew-Mac or Dan Erlewine, I swear! :D )

Yeah the video is deffinitly on my list of learning material. It's very reasonably priced compared to stewmacs other instructional videos. Most of them are $50 - $100. I think that video is suposed to be like highlights from the book or something. no?

Quote from stew mac

Video highlights from our book Guitar Finishing Step-By-Step, with StewMac's Don MacRostie and Dan Erlewine. Don demonstrates the professional compressed-air spray equipment in his shop, and finishes a bound alder guitar body in high gloss custom-color lacquers.

I got the book first because I thought it would be a more complete refrence. And since I don't know squat about finishes I thought that was a good place to start :D

Edited by Godin SD

I've got the videos and the first edition of the book. I liked the videos because they explain a lot better (i.e. with images) the theory behind the book.

I wasn't a big fan of the book because it didn't have any colored pictures anywhere. Kinda hard to picture a "pre-65 fender sunburst" or a "gibson tv yellow" or a "butterscotch blonde" if you've never seen one in person and don't have pictures in the book to show you what its supposed to look like. You got recipes to make all those finishes but not even one picture to show you what it looks like :D

Thats what irritates me about the second edition, now they got all these nice pictures in the book and I have to spend another $30 just to get those extra photos :D

Another GREAT book is "Build Your Own Acoustic Guitar" by Jonathan Kinkead. It may revolve around acoustic guitar construction but there is extremely good info on bindings, inlays, fretting , etc, totally applicable to electric guitars. Every aspect of the build(s) is shown grahically (w/ pictures :D ) and explained in detail. There is also a full sized blueprint in the back of the book should I ever want to build an acoustic guitar...one of these days. :D

Godin,

Now that I'm thinking about it. I'm wondering if I really want that second edition. Maybe you can help?

In the recipes section, is there a color picture of what the results are supposed to be like?

How many pages of gloss photos do you get?

Is it like just a few pages in the middle of the book with some higher quality paper and gloss pictures on it or is it that every page has glossy pictures of most of the details of the subjects discussed?

Every page is not gloss with pics no.

In the middle there are 18 gloss color pages with finish swatchs, finished instrements, and a detailed walkthrough with pics of every step of an acoustic being finished in gloss clear.

I have an acoustic guitar building book thats called

Guitar making tradition and technology by William R. Cumpiano

It's a great source like you said for inlay, fret, neck, and finish. Much in the book can be applied to electric building. Whos knows, someday I plan to build an acoustic. I need some more equipment before I attempt one of those. Not to mention knowledge B):D:D

Edited by Godin SD

Every page is not gloss with pics no.

In the middle there are 18 gloss color pages with finish swatchs, finished instrements, and a detailed walkthrough with pics of every step of an acoustic being finished in gloss clear.

I don't understand what you mean by "swatchs" :D On those 18 pages is there such a thing as: This picture represents recipe number XXX?

Thats pretty much what I'm after. Colored picture examples of those recipes. If there isn't any it's worthless to me and saves me $30 + shipping

I've trolled through the internet and have found a few 1st edition copies at 1/2 the price of the 2nd edition. Can anyone say that it's better to get one over the other considering the price?

Yes, I'm cheap. If the 1st edition is good enough for half the price, I'd just as soon have that one.

Suggestions?