Brass V. Aluminum V. Steel

JohnA

Before the nut and after the saddle, the metal of choice won't affect the strings cycling abilities.

If the string touches it, brass is a popular option....but it will wear quickly.

If the string doesn't touch it, stainless steel is a good option and will last for a very (very) long time.

I love all these guys with titanium trem blocks and unobtanium bridge plates. Makes me giggle.

Before the nut and after the saddle, you want a strong, durable material. Steel, zinc and titanium are good choices. Brass and aluminum are not because they are very 'soft' metals.

Choose your components wisely, and with your ears.

So more mass doesn't increase sustain or anything like that?

I've also heard brass saddles are brighter, this is all just myth?

Edited by JohnA

Unobtanium is a long running joke in sci-fi and engineering circles. I cracked up when it turned up in the movie " The Core ". I think the actual definition is " a material specified by engineering, but unavailable to purchasing" orrr... something like that. I remember many years back when everyone said that aluminum was the worst thing for a bridge, it sucks the tone right out of the instrument. Now it is said to possess tone enhancing properties or some such hoo-ha. I wonder what quantum changes aluminum has undergone in the past 20 years. I wouldn't worry much about it, just get something you like.