New Pgm Project

Well, things are glued, i reglued the veneer, the front of the guitar has its veneer glued on, and the scarf joint is done. Im going out to route the guitar right now for pickups right now. Just though i would post a couple pics of the guitar before i do. Tomarrow i will be cutting out and gluing the back side with veneer and cutting out the neck. Ill keep you guys posted.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...GM/IMG_0226.jpg

Neck and body together, although the pic does the neck figure no justice.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...GM/IMG_0227.jpg

Edited by Maiden69

Well, i just got dont routing the pickup cavities. Everything went smooth except one thing (seems with my projects at least always one thing happens and screw everything nice up for the day.) I was using a flush cut bit and using the body as a template and was cutting the maple to match the body, when the bearing on my bit just exploded..... :D Dont know how it happened, but i didnt notice it ( was watching wood, not bit) and went back in for the cut and right as i started to cut i noticed that i didnt have as much maple to take off and the bit took way more. Which gave me this. As soon as i saw that i stopped, vented for a few min, then strapped a new bearing on and went back at it. The new bearing did fine and i finished cutting the maple down. I then did the pickup cavities which went very smooth. Over all not a bad day, just a little annoying. Here is what it looks like.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...GM/IMG_0230.jpg

*Btw the dark stuff in the pickup cavitiy is a big knot in which i filled.

Edited by Maiden69

Welp, neck is cut out and the back side of the veneer is cut out. I just need to go get some more glue to glue the veneer down. Im deciding if i want to make a voulate(sp?) on the back of my neck or not. Ive never done one so i dont know how. My headstock is 3/4 as it stands right now and i need it to be 1/2, i suppose i could cut the headstock down with the bandsaw, and cut the voulate out at the time? do u guys carve urs by hand or cut them out? Any tuts or help would be great.

Welp, neck is cut out and the back side of the veneer is cut out. I just need to go get some more glue to glue the veneer down. Im deciding if i want to make a voulate(sp?) on the back of my neck or not. Ive never done one so i dont know how. My headstock is 3/4 as it stands right now and i need it to be 1/2, i suppose i could cut the headstock down with the bandsaw, and cut the voulate out at the time? do u guys carve urs by hand or cut them out? Any tuts or help would be great.

First off, congrats on the project, things are looking good!! If this is a scarf joint neck, what I usually find works best is, cut the headstock piece down to 1/2" before you glue it up to the neck piece. Otherwise it's more difficult to get it sized correctly and level, but it can be done multiple ways though. One way is to use a drill press with long drum sander 3", and use a fence to thickness sand the headstock to size. Another way is to use the bandsaw and cut close to 1/2" then block sand it to final thickness. Yet another way is to use a Safe-T-Planer in a drill press. Whatever works best for you. Here's a small diagram I made for you guys to better understand the scarf joint process for neck building, maybe that will suffice for a tutorial.

scarf101.jpg

If your going for a volute, when you bandsaw the headstock piece, depending on which method you glued the scarf joint, you might have to leave some wood thicker for the volute area. Which method did you use?

Here is a pic update of the body that ive been working on for the past couple of days. It has the maple on the back now as i said, and the sides are sanded and ready to be trimmed for the purfling. Tomarrow will be truss rod route day.

Back

IMG_0236.jpg

Front

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...GM/IMG_0234.jpg

Side: Two different view of sides.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...GM/IMG_0239.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/DuffB...GM/IMG_0238.jpg

What are you going to do about the body conformities? Tummy carve, arm rest, you know. If that's a veneer, when you go to do your arm rest you'll end up going right through it, same with your tummy carve. So are you just not doing those? or did you forget? Because that would definitely suck :D enlighten me! Sort of confused!

That would be a problem, but if you do a burst just right and the top arm contour isn't too far you can hide it by fanning the burst slightly wider. I know that Fender, when bursting the back of the guitar, paints the back belly contour completely. Is that to hide something? lol Anyway, he's going to have to be creative about it to hide the different woods, but it can be done very easily.

BTW,.. your guitars looking great!!

What are you going to do about the body conformities? Tummy carve, arm rest, you know. If that's a veneer, when you go to do your arm rest you'll end up going right through it, same with your tummy carve. So are you just not doing those? or did you forget? Because that would definitely suck B) enlighten me! Sort of confused!

And don't forget the soft neck heel contour :D . I asked about all of this a couple of weeks ago...

Nice to see some progress though.

:D

Im trying something different, i have decided yet, there will be no arm rest for sure, ive never really liked them to tell u the truth, just feels funny to be honest, i might do a tummy curve, i thing it would look cool doing two different woods for a tummy curve, but i also love the feel of my guitars without tummy curves. Its going to be a gift in which will never acutally get played to be honest, its for my shop teacher, he would put it in a glass case and just have it as sentament.

a gift in which will never acutally get played to be honest, its for my shop teacher, he would put it in a glass case and just have it as sentament.

A guitar is meant to be played. arghghg.

Oh well, to each his own. Regardless, I think the project is looking great so far.

I agree about the arm rest, you don't really need one but the tummy curve is a nice touch.

I agree with you, its acutally sucks as im building the thing to think that it wont ever get played, but my shop teacher has thought me for the past four years of my life, his is more then just teacher to me, he is a friend. He helped me a lot when i build my first guitar, so i thought id give something back :D. Btw thanks for the compliments.