Wiring A Blend Pot

Julie

Please help, I am unable to find a diagram for wiring my new blend pot. I have 2 single coil seymour duncan pickups, and 1 seymour humbucker. A 5 way Rotary switch, 1 volume 1 tone, a on/on/on dpdt switch, and I am adding the blend pot. I bought the pot from stew mac, but their wiring diagram doesn't help.Sorry that isn't a 5 way rotary switch, it is a 5 way selector switch.Here is a diagram of my setup http://photos.yahoo.com/juliencal

Edited by Julie

OK, not the information I was looking for, but never mind. :D Simply disconnect the two chosen pickups from everything else - then follow the very first wiring diagram on the instructions page from StewMac: This one. Then connect the output to either your volume and tone pots, the switch, or the jack, and you'll be the proud owner of a working blend pot setup!! Of course, since you have three pickups, and a blend pot will only control two, I suspect there's something else you want that you haven't told us about - if you'll clarify precisely what you want to blend, we can probably be more helpful. :D

Edited by lovekraft

Thank you for your help LoveKraft, and others. Okay, so you know now what my setup is and what

I have to work with. What it is I don't know is what 2 pickups Shall I blend together, or 1. Should I blend the Humbucker as a series/split or blend the HB with the neck pu or etc etc.. I don't know which sounds the best. I don't really feel like experimenting with them having to wire and rewire them all.. So your opinion definately counts and I am open for all options. I deeply appreciate your time and patience. :D

:D OK, but you're not going to want to hear this! Frankly, with your setup, I think a blend pot is superfluous and confusing - the only practical use would be to blend the neck pickup in with the bridge, and while that is a option, it's not a sound I personally have any use for, and it will complicate regular switching unless you're very clever in implementing it. But that's just me, and I don't much care for these complex shuttle cockpit switching systems anyway - good luck with it! :D

thank you, i wired the blend pot to the neck and the Hb, also using the Series/Split/Parallel. I like it. The only down fall is that it only works good with certain tones I am using. I use guitar port, and you can tell a considerable amount of difference in the blends with some tones, and others you can't hardly tell or some even at all, but for now I am satisfied. Until I decide to tear my guitar apart again and try something new. I just recently started experimenting with different switching and sounds etc...etc... So far I have not had any major disasters. :D

thanks again for the help. I am definately glad I found this site. I am sure you will see me here quite often.

Edited by Julie

okay, so once again I am back, how bout a wiring for this? Take out the stupid switch and the blend pot, now that is left is just the HB and the 2 SC. The 5 way selector switch and one volume, one tone, which is the best way to wire it all together with a split? Here is the new picture diagram of my setup.

http://photos.yahoo.com/juliencal

Thanx. :D

Hi there Julie and welcome to Project Guitar...

Well, there are an endless variety of combinations possible with the HB and two single coils...

There may well be a use for that blend pot yet!!!

Here is a site that has a wide variety of diagrams that is always highly recommended

DGB Studio HB + S + S circuits link

You may wish to look at the DGB recommended for HSS combinations too. Some of them do use a control knob to create blends in positions 2 and 4 for instance. I have a Strat which has a volume control on the middle pickup so it can be blended in at any switch position.

DGB Studio also have a section on stock wiring circuits for commercial guitars if you have something in mind or particularly like a manufacturers wiring...many are very taken with Vai's Gem scheme for instance. Also, there are wire color codes for various makes of pickup so you can tell one from another (they are often very different)

You may wish to work out a combination of tones that you are seeking to acheive on the 5-way and then have a "blow" switch" that will auto switch the HB alone for a lead tone...I rather like that idea.

In addition to selecting pickups and combinations, you may also wish to consider combinations in/out phase and series/parrallel...all different but usable sounds. Some of them may result in drops in volume (possibly not so bad if switching from a rhythm to lead tone) and/or loss or gain of the humbucking effect.

So many choices. You really don't want to have a guitar with switches sprouting out all over it (or perhaps you do!) but there are some useful sounds to be had without too much electronic hardware and such.

A site you may want to look at is...Guitar Nuts Site...as it is specifically geared towards wiring and shielding issues. One of the clearest sites there is on the subject. You may even wish to consult the cunningly hidden Guitar Nuts Forum...these guys are not adverse to any kind of wiring options and have some unusual schematics listed there and are very helpful with this kind of thing.

As I say, I have a mid pickup volume control to add it into combinations and find it really useful...it might have been even more useful had I used a blend control in some sneaky way...so I wouldn't necessarily abandon that option...

Anyway...perhaps start with a range of sounds and features you think you might like to achieve and then go for that...some of it depends on the type of music you play...Metal perhaps a simple dual humbucker with three way is the best approach...if you play clean sounds and a bit of rhythm (say funk, etc) then a lot of the more unusual out of phase sounds are uesfull...or perhaps you fall somewhere in between, or just want a guitar with a lot of options or a unique twist...hope that helps a little, good luck... pete

Hi there Julie and welcome to Project Guitar...

Well, there are an endless variety of combinations possible with the HB and two single coils...

There may well be a use for that blend pot yet!!!

Here is a site that has a wide variety of diagrams that is always highly recommended

DGB Studio HB + S + S circuits link

You may wish to look at the DGB recommended for HSS combinations too. Some of them do use a control knob to create blends in positions 2 and 4 for instance. I have a Strat which has a volume control on the middle pickup so it can be blended in at any switch position.

DGB Studio also have a section on stock wiring circuits for commercial guitars if you have something in mind or particularly like a manufacturers wiring...many are very taken with Vai's Gem scheme for instance. Also, there are wire color codes for various makes of pickup so you can tell one from another (they are often very different)

You may wish to work out a combination of tones that you are seeking to acheive on the 5-way and then have a "blow" switch" that will auto switch the HB alone for a lead tone...I rather like that idea.

In addition to selecting pickups and combinations, you may also wish to consider combinations in/out phase and series/parrallel...all different but usable sounds. Some of them may result in drops in volume (possibly not so bad if switching from a rhythm to lead tone) and/or loss or gain of the humbucking effect.

So many choices. You really don't want to have a guitar with switches sprouting out all over it (or perhaps you do!) but there are some useful sounds to be had without too much electronic hardware and such.

A site you may want to look at is...Guitar Nuts Site...as it is specifically geared towards wiring and shielding issues. One of the clearest sites there is on the subject. You may even wish to consult the cunningly hidden Guitar Nuts Forum...these guys are not adverse to any kind of wiring options and have some unusual schematics listed there and are very helpful with this kind of thing.

As I say, I have a mid pickup volume control to add it into combinations and find it really useful...it might have been even more useful had I used a blend control in some sneaky way...so I wouldn't necessarily abandon that option...

Anyway...perhaps start with a range of sounds and features you think you might like to achieve and then go for that...some of it depends on the type of music you play...Metal perhaps a simple dual humbucker with three way is the best approach...if you play clean sounds and a bit of rhythm (say funk, etc) then a lot of the more unusual out of phase sounds are uesfull...or perhaps you fall somewhere in between, or just want a guitar with a lot of options or a unique twist...hope that helps a little, good luck... pete

Thanks pete, well I checked out the site, and If it isn't a inconvience to you, perhaps you could still help me out with the wiring, my 5 way switch is from Carvin, and all the poles are on one side. took blend and switch out. now just have the 5 way and the two single coils, by carvin, and the seymour duncan humbucker(custom custom, sh11) What I am looking for is the best configuration of sounds. I am getting grounds mixed up and it is causing what seems to be just not quite full sound like it should be, I need someone to possibly show me how to wire what I have, and not what diagrams I have been shown so far. I haven't been able to find any with a 5 way switch like mine. Also on all the diagrams i had viewed, no one tells which ones are hot and the outputs etc... Would a diagram of the way I have it wired right now help you in telling me what I have wired wrong? I thank you for your help. Julie

Hi again Julie...

Well there are probably better wiring gurus than me...but you seem to be on the right track. Unfortunately, all the wires and switches seem to have different colours and formats in the guitar world, sometimes it takes a little experimentation.

Also a little research. Carvin may have details about exactly which wire is which on their site and also details about their switch. Some switches are more limited than others for what they can do...the number of poles to connect to...a super switch for instance has a much larger number of connecting points and so can do more...

Yes...if you can, post up what you have done so far. I had a little trouble seeing your last drawing...if you open an account at photobucket.com and use the IMG link button in your post, you can post a jpg right here for everyone to see...might get a better and more definitive response :D

It does sound like you may have a few wires crossed causing out-of-phase effects...this will cancel frequencies and cause losses in volume simply by reversing the wires, especially in combinations and with HB's (which are like two SC's)...similar if parrallel instead of series... You might like to try simply reversing the wires to see if this fixes the problem...

BTW...you can tap the pole pieces with a screwdriver to see which coil is on. A little tricky though to tell about these other effects though.

Keep trying... pete

OK...now I see it...here I'll post your last diagram for you...see if that helps...

460dscd.jpg

Edited by psw

You are such a sweet heart for helping me out, okay here you can go and see my diagram. Please be patient with my sloppy drawing, only the 2nd time i have attempted to make up a diagram.

th_b511scd.jpg

I can't exactly figure out how to put the link in right!!! :D

Hope you can get there.

nevermind about me figuring it out, obviously i pasted it right somehow!lol, blonde moment

Edited by Julie