Colored Epoxy Inlays

jay66

Iv'e been experimenting with clear 2 part epoxy and different color Rit dyes for inlays. I mixed the dye with alcohol and then added it to the epoxy. I must say I have been getting some brilliant colors. The only problem is when it drys and I sand it down it has tiny air bubbles. I can't see any air bubbles in the epoxy as I am mixing it. Does anyone have any experince with this?

I've done some experimenting with Dylon dyes mixed with wood dust. I sand some maple into fine sawdust and mix in the powdered dye then add a bit of water. The resulting paste is then spread out to dry. When dried its broken up and useable for inlays by packing it into the hole with CA glue then sanding flush only a few minutes later. I call it "the poor man's inlay". :D

Edited by Southpa

I saw that inlace stuff in Grizzly Industrial it looks like there could be some interesting possibilitys with it. Gibson must of used somthing like that on there voodoo series guitars. The red skull on an ebony fingerboard looks pretty cool.