Moving Input Jack

Whats up, this is my first time on this site and I must say it is AWESOME there is a TON of great info on here. Now Im not sure if this is in the proper section or not, but if not mods could you please move it to the proper location? Ok here is what Im wondering about. Im in the process of refinishing my guitar and I was wondering if it is possible to move the input jack from the front of the guitar (Fender Strat style) to the back bottom side of the guitar, so it looks like the cord plugs into the bottom half.. So has anyone tried this? Im wondering what I would need to know and how to go about doing this. ANy help would be great :D

First off, welcome to the forum!!!

What your calling an input jack is actually called an output jack, think about signal path here. What your wanting to do is totally possible, but your going to have to fill in the hole the output jack plate is hiding, that is if you intend to completely get rid of it. The problem is you'd never successfully match the wood, so you'd be limited to a solid color paint job so it hides the wood. It's very possible, but you must be realistic with yourself and if you don't think you could do it, just leave it alone. That being said though, since you've already stripped body down to just wood, this is the perfect time to do something like this!! Good luck..

First off, welcome to the forum!!!

What your calling an input jack is actually called an output jack, think about signal path here. What your wanting to do is totally possible, but your going to have to fill in the hole the output jack plate is hiding, that is if you intend to completely get rid of it. The problem is you'd never successfully match the wood, so you'd be limited to a solid color paint job so it hides the wood. It's very possible, but you must be realistic with yourself and if you don't think you could do it, just leave it alone. That being said though, since you've already stripped body down to just wood, this is the perfect time to do something like this!! Good luck..

I knew I should have look of my post, IM A MORON :D I know the guitar is maple, but you are right I dont think I would beable to match the grain pattern. HMMM Im going to have to think about this

Were you thinking of dying/stain/ or translucent finish?

And is your maple handsome enough for those finishes?

If you really want to, personally, I'd paint something just over the filled-hole..

Like.. a .... winnie the pooh.. ughh.. your face? hand print.. any image.. just enough to paint over it.

OR!!

Buy a veneer. Which I think would be an excellent idea. :D

When you make a mistake.. Don't worry. It's not the end of the world.. (maybe not so much for necks...)

Lettt your creative senses guide you.

Ciao and good luck.

-IR