Hi, I'm New With A Project In Mind

Hi guys, I'm new here.

I just discovered the website and I found it fantastic as I was searching on Google for informations about building my own guitar. As I went throught the pages I decided to really build my own. I hope having a great time here and I hope having fun building my rig. :D

So, my project is quite simple. I call it the TBV (Thunderblitz V). Its gonna be a V Alder neck-thru-body. Neck-thru is a little tougher than bolt-on, but is much more better in terms of quality. I'm gonna go with maple (dont know what type of maple yet) for the neck. For the V shape, I'm hesitating between the Jackson KV2 style or Jackson Y2KV style (its like the Epiphone's flying V style, its a rounder V than the KV2. The KV2 has sharp points). I will see what I find much cooler. For the head shape, I dont really know yet. It will depend on the body's shape. Ebony fretboard at 24 jumbo frets, for a length of 25,5''. I'm thinking about the Hitler sign (the Hitler's cross, I dont know how they call it) as inlays. Dont get wrong, I'm not a nazi, I just like the look of the cross. Or simply the classic shark pin. No mother of pearl, I'm gonna get my inlays in white. Black finish for the entire guitar with a white binding over the neck and head. I think about Grover tuners, but maybe old school LSR tuners could add a Dave Mustaine look on it. :D

As the hardware department goes, I dont know for the "motherboard" (this is how I call it lol), cause I dont really know about it. 2 volume buttons, 1 tone volume, 3-way toggle. As pickups, 2 humbucker. the JB/Jazz combo from Seymour Duncan, what Dave Mustaine used over the years. The tone of these pickups is just crazy dope. TonePros fixed bridge with strings-thru body or Tune-O-Matic.

So thats my project B)

V comparison:

Jackson Y2KV Dave Mustaine Signature Guitar:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/WNAM...son/Y2KVBKD.jpg

Jackson USA KV2 King V:

http://www.stevesmusiccenter.com/JacksonKV2Big.jpg

Edited by Thunderblitz

Welcome Thunderblitz to Project Guitar!!!

You will find plenty of advice and like projects here. Quite a few Vee fans!!!

Don't forget that seach function...it is your friend. Another interesting thing is to check out what others are looking by viewing members by last click...down at the bottom of the main board where the online members are listed...

enjoy...

pete

Fellow newbie here with a similar design B)

I've started planning a guitar based loosely on the neck-through Jackson King-V, but with an inverted headstock. I already play a Jackson PS-1 so I can get some good measurements from that. I'm going for 22-frets, as I don't want to run into problems with the front pickup cavity being too close the end of the fingerboard. Even though I play a lot of things like Slayer/Metallica solos (badly) I hardly ever use 23rd/24th frets anyway !

For hardware I've ordered the EMG-KFK set (EMG-81/85 with pre-amp), and for the bridge a Kahler tremolo system & locking nut. So I suppose it's a cross-between a Dave Mustaine / Kerry King type of rig :D

As far as inlays are concerned I'm sticking with dots as I don't want to screw up with anything more complicated, I might be wrong but I think the shark-fin inlays require neck binding which for me is too much for a first project - check the Inlays section. I sincerely hope you mean the Iron Cross for inlays rather than the Swastika - I recommend you do some research to find out what each symbol means, rather than using something because it looks cool. :D

I call it Project 'Flying-G' (G my first initial)

Anyway good luck with your design, I know I'll need it for mine :D

Edited by thrasher!

I love the look of the swastika aswell, but you might just get your ass kicked if you have it on your guitar and the wrong guy (or group of guys) sees it. It was actual an indian symbol for like peace and nature or something like that, then hitler put it at a tilt and there you have the most recognized symbol for hatred in the world. If you could put the swastikas in flat (edges parallel to the edges of the fretboard) you may be alright, then they'd look like block inlays from a distance.

I love the look of the swastika aswell, but you might just get your ass kicked if you have it on your guitar and the wrong guy (or group of guys) sees it. It was actual an indian symbol for like peace and nature or something like that, then hitler put it at a tilt and there you have the most recognized symbol for hatred in the world. If you could put the swastikas in flat (edges parallel to the edges of the fretboard) you may be alright, then they'd look like block inlays from a distance.

Agreed on the ass kicking part. Symbols have power for people and while someone may think it looks "cool", it is what it is - a symbol of hatred and bigotry. There are plenty of sites out there that explain its historical background but none of that changes what it has come to represent. Given its current and obvious meaning, is its use warranted simply because it looks "cool"?

Just my .02. Other than that all the best on the project itself.

Robert Irizarry

Agreed on the ass kicking part. Symbols have power for people and while someone may think it looks "cool", it is what it is - a symbol of hatred and bigotry. There are plenty of sites out there that explain its historical background but none of that changes what it has come to represent. Given its current and obvious meaning, is its use warranted simply because it looks "cool"?

Just my .02. Other than that all the best on the project itself.

Robert Irizarry

I'm pretty sure he's talking of the Iron Cross. Which would make for some kewl looking inlays Good luck on your project and post some pics.

I'm pretty sure he's talking of the Iron Cross. Which would make for some kewl looking inlays Good luck on your project and post some pics.

Actually, he's talking about the swastika - from his last post just a few above ours:

Yup, actually its the Swastika that I find really cool. But the Iron Cross looks good too. For the inlays, I'm not planning doing it myself. I'll probably just buy it custom from a company that makes custom fingerboards.

I simply cmmented on what was posted...

Robert Irizarry

lets not talk about this please... lol

I also found lightning bolt inlays which looks pretty cool: http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar/quick...red_229_550.jpg

Since my band is called Thunderblitz, that should make a good combo :D

This is what it supposed to look like when I'll have everything cut and glued.

http://www.edromanguitars.com/bodyblanks/ABS_BB63_700.jpg

Not this headstock tho. Jackson style headstock :D

Edited by Thunderblitz

lets not talk about this please... lol

I also found lightning bolt inlays which looks pretty cool: http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar/quick...red_229_550.jpg

Since my band is called Thunderblitz, that should make a good combo B)

The lightning bolts look cool and they're thematic. :D

BTW - it just occurred to me but the Image search function on Google.com is probably a cool way to see a bunch of different designs both guitar and un-guitar related to feed the imagination in terms of inlays. I did a couple of searches using "inlay" and "geometric design" and some really interesting stuff came back. I think I just found how I'll be wasting the next couple of hours. :D

Robert Irizarry

Oh well... I hope to find somewhere the dimensions of the V's, so I could get myself to work... I dont have any :D

The photo of the Jackson Y2KV Dave Mustaine Signature is photographed straight-on which means that if you know the scale length of that guitar, you can enlarge the picture in photoshop until you match the scale length (measure from the nut to the bridge) and voila, you have all the dimensions you need for the rest of the body.

Btw, where are you located in Quebec? I'm in Laval.

Araz

EDIT: As I try to work in Photoshop. I cant seem to get the size. from the bridge to the nut ???? Its not supposed to be from the head to the bridge ??? The guitar is a 25.5"

The scale length is the distance between the two points on which the string vibrates so it's measured between the bridge and the front of the nut (the front of the nut is the one facing the bridge).

Hope this helps, salut.

Araz

Can you help me out please. I'm not good enough on Photoshop yet.

http://img477.imageshack.us/img477/8966/p35212h0vm.jpg

Heres the picture of the Jackson USA KV2 :D

OK. I did it but my web hosting service is shrinking the file so I can't post it in the correct size. If you send me your email address, by PM, I can email the file to you.

Then you just need to print it full size (on multiple pages)...

Araz

Edited by araz