Uneven Veneer

I have veneered and stained my wood, however the veneer rippled slightly, so that when i stained i obtained this pattern

veneerpattern.jpg

would it be possible via repeated sanding to even this out? bearing in mind i need to be extremely careful of the veneer, which may have to be redone anyway. Could i sand flat and then restain?

May just redo it anyway in my quest for perfection, meh.

veneerpattern.jpg

That looks like a rough sketch of what stained flame/curly maple is supposed to look like. Isn't that the look you were going for? red flame ibanez

The grain in flame maple makes it look rippled even though the surface is perfectly flat - are you sure the veneer itself is actually rippled? Did you use a block when you did your sand back? How thick is the veneer? A picture would really help!

Mike

Edited by mikhailgtrski

Bad explanation sorry, the flame stripes are the horizontal black lines. Im positive the surface is ever so slightly uneven, and the sanding back has thus lightened some areas more than others as they are higher. Camera way too **** to show that, will try and borrow dads if he visits.

So (assuming the neck pocket is "north") the red ripples are running north and south vs. east to west? I'm sure you know this, but on a "normal" flame top the grain lines generally run north-south and the figuring (or flame) runs east-west.

Do you think it rippled on you when you glued it on or when you sanded? How thick is the veneer anyway?

Mike

Most likely you have either uneven thickness of glue, or it did not lay flat. For the bumps you could try ironing them flat with a steam iron, it may or may not help (work from the center outward). You don't want to stain until the surface is flat.

With the stain, what may have happened is that the glue may have soaked through your veneer where it was thickest and sealed off the grain, so that the stain doesn't penetrate. No amount of sanding will take care of a problem like that...you may have to shoot dyed lacquer instead.

The glue for veneers has to be very thin for this reason.

Im re veneering then, this project WILL be perfect. Veneer is hella cheap for what it looks like anyway, and I have the cash. One thing im really having trouble finding is naptha in the UK. Another thing is ideas on how to make the flame really stand out. When the veneer is natural and out the packet i have a beautiful flame, but after any sanding, it appears lost. I got far better results on my headstock, where i just stained and laquered, than my body where i stained, sanded back with 400 and restained. I lost a considerable amount of figure....even after i laquered. Ah well irrelevant now, i will need to find out before i stain again...now onto some major sanding

If you got good results with the headstock, then do the body exactly the same way. Part of the problem with veneer is that if you sand it after gluing it down, you can pretty quickly come to a depth in the veneer where the wood pores are filled with glue (from underneath) and won't take stain. The figure will suffer.

Get it to lay flat right off the bat and you shouldn't have to sand to get it flat.

On the other hand, if you have the buck$ then you could go with a 1/4" thick flame maple cap. I always find caps easier to work with than veneers (for exactly the reasons you are experiencing).

Thicker cap is not an option, I reveneered and its perfect. REALLY REALLY need some help/info from people living in the UK preferably how you make the flame extreme. The natural veneer has a BEAUTIFUL flame at the moment, and its a PERFECT job. I cannot mess the staining and finishing up, i will go insane. Im open to suggestions, based on bright red flaming. I have black and red water based dyes, can buy others if necessary. I know i need to practice on scrap till its perfect.