Plug In = Lights On

backsidetailslide

alright folks i have no idea how to wire my bass guitar.

i have passive precision pickups, a tone and volume pot, a jack and grounding to get wired up. now the tricky part is that when i plug in my bass to my amp i would like a few leds to turn on.

like thisVVV

Picture too large - changed to link

how would i do this? i dont have room for a 9v battery or anything big (probably only enough for single cells) can someone help me out? possibly write me some schematics? i have never done this before :D

any tips are welcome!

thanks a lot!

Edited by lovekraft

You could just use a TRS stereo jack as a switch, stompbox style - simply hook up your batteries' (two AAAs will probably take up the least room, unless you want to use button cells) positive side to the current limiting resistor in series with the anode of the LED(s), and hook the cathode to the guitar's ground point, then hook up the battery negative to the ring terminal of the TRS jack. When you plug in, the mono jack will short the ring to the sleeve (ground) and complete the circuit, lighting the LED.

:D

You could just use a TRS stereo jack as a switch, stompbox style - simply hook up your batteries' (two AAAs will probably take up the least room, unless you want to use button cells) positive side to the current limiting resistor in series with the anode of the LED(s), and hook the cathode to the guitar's ground point, then hook up the battery negative to the ring terminal of the TRS jack. When you plug in, the mono jack will short the ring to the sleeve (ground) and complete the circuit, lighting the LED.

hmm im not too sure what you mean. i already have a mono 1/4 jack, would that work?

could you maybe draw a diagram :D

should i have posted this in the electronic section?

Edited by backsidetailslide

Use the jack on the right. Run the hot (signal) to the tip, and the earth (ground) to the ring. This will leave on available terminal, which you connect your battery to. Then, when the plug is inserted, the plug bridges the earth and the power from the battery, completing the circuit.

This is a very common thing to do with active guitar electronics, or FX - a google search for schematics and some nosing around should find you some schematics or diagrams very quickly.

Use the jack on the right. Run the hot (signal) to the tip, and the earth (ground) to the ring. This will leave on available terminal, which you connect your battery to. Then, when the plug is inserted, the plug bridges the earth and the power from the battery, completing the circuit.

This is a very common thing to do with active guitar electronics, or FX - a google search for schematics and some nosing around should find you some schematics or diagrams very quickly.

thanks a lot everyone! i finally understand :D

If you're going to use AAAs, you'll need a current-limiting resistor - with a pair of button cells, there's usually enough internal resistance to protect the LED, but I'd still be careful. It's awfully easy to go from LED to DED in one easy step! There are plenty of LED calculators scattered around the 'Net, so I won't go into the math - you should have no trouble finding one.