Suggested Tools And Methods For Texturing Wood?

Robert Irizarry

Can anyone suggest tools and/or methods for texturing wood? I'm looking for a way to create a bit of a course texture on a relatively flat surface. The caveat is that as of this moment, I have no identifiable woodworking skills so I'm trying to find out if there is a relatively painless method to do so... :-)

Thanks!

I had the idea of a drift wood guitar body (still on the list of "want to do" guitars). I investigated the sandblaster method and it worked pretty well. Another method is to use a rotating wire brush in a drill. Used along the grain it makes it look like a realy old worn piece of wood. That method worked better on ash.

I had the idea of a drift wood guitar body (still on the list of "want to do" guitars). I investigated the sandblaster method and it worked pretty well. Another method is to use a rotating wire brush in a drill. Used along the grain it makes it look like a realy old worn piece of wood. That method worked better on ash.

Ok - time for a clarification. I wasn't being clear about what I meant (probably because I wasn't so sure myself :D )

I thought about it some more and I guess what I'm thinking about is a way to create a knurl pattern on wood either crosshatched or straight. I suppose a router bit with some type of template would let me accomplish that? Maybe I answered my own question? :D

Either a router with a straight edge to follow (don’t need a template) or gouges. I wouldn’t use gouges. It’s hard to cut a clean pattern at an angle across the grain.

Found somthing interesting

Textured punches

Fantastic! I'm so glad I started this thread. That's what I was actually hoping for.

Thanks!