Setting Up Tom To Scale?

Hi, i am currently building my guitar. but i am just trying to be sure where to mount my TOM bridge.

I have a 22 fret neck at a 22 5/8" Scale. So i measure 22 3/5" from the nut to the bridge, right?

Ok simple enough, but all the TOM bridges (and my LP) are angled? So do i measure 22 3/5" from nut to the low E side of the bridge or High E side? Does there need to be a slant on the bridge. I hope you know what i mean

Ill try to draw a pic (exaggerated)

.TAIL PIECE...........BRIDGE.....................................NUT

0-----------/-------------------------------------------| Measure 22 /58" from topend of Bridge to nut

0----------/--------------------------------------------|

0---------/---------------------------------------------|

0--------/----------------------------------------------|

0-------/-----------------------------------------------|

0------/------------------------------------------------| Or from Low end to nut?

Sorry if you cant understand what i mean.

Thanks a heap, in advance

Nathan

Hi, i am currently building my guitar. but i am just trying to be sure where to mount my TOM bridge.

I have a 22 fret neck at a 22 5/8" Scale. So i measure 22 3/5" from the nut to the bridge, right?

Ok simple enough, but all the TOM bridges (and my LP) are angled? So do i measure 22 3/5" from nut to the low E side of the bridge or High E side? Does there need to be a slant on the bridge. I hope you know what i mean

Ill try to draw a pic (exaggerated)

.TAIL PIECE...........BRIDGE.....................................NUT

0-----------/-------------------------------------------| Measure 22 /58" from topend of Bridge to nut

0----------/--------------------------------------------|

0---------/---------------------------------------------|

0--------/----------------------------------------------|

0-------/-----------------------------------------------|

0------/------------------------------------------------| Or from Low end to nut?

Sorry if you cant understand what i mean.

Thanks a heap, in advance

Nathan

I hear what your saying. First time I saw that, I thought either my eyes were screwing with me or somebody at the factory screwed up. The TuneOMatics have that slant to compensate for scale. The intonation screws are a bit limited in comparison to the other bridges in that department.

Measure 22 5/8" from the nut to the HIGH E saddle.

Measure 22 3/4" from the nut to the LOW E saddle.

What you have is a 1/8" angle

-Doug

Stewart Macdonald Has a great info page that will give you all of your measurements. You just enter your scale length and number of frets and your measuremnts magically appear.

www.stewmac.com

then click on the free info link :D