Analog Preset Question

weezerboy

heyo - a rare and random post from me,

i was just thinking, is it possible to use a switch in replacement of a pot on an effect pedal?

but with each position of the switch having a minipot [the real name escapes me at the moment] essentially enabling you to ''save'' knob positions and go back to them using a switch rather than having the memorise where to move knobs to to get the sound you want?

hopefully someone can make some sense out of that.

cheers,

Dan :D

heyo - a rare and random post from me,

i was just thinking, is it possible to use a switch in replacement of a pot on an effect pedal?

but with each position of the switch having a minipot [the real name escapes me at the moment] essentially enabling you to ''save'' knob positions and go back to them using a switch rather than having the memorise where to move knobs to to get the sound you want?

hopefully someone can make some sense out of that.

cheers,

Dan :D

Sure. I believe Craig Anderton describes something to that effect in DIY Projects for Guitarists. It might be tricky to get everything back into the pedal housing, and you'll want to be careful with your leads (especially around gain circuits), but it can be done for sure. It's probably a better idea to use resistors rather than trimpots once you've found the settings you like. That way they won't change if the pedal gets knocked around.

i've just been trying to draw a diagram of it to explain to a friend and got completely lost....i'm halfway there but cant work out how to pull it off :D

will a DPDT switch work for this?

im thinking positions 1&2 for the 'preset' trimpots, then position 3 for the main pot....yet i cant figure out how to fit this idea into a circuit.

anyone give me any pointers? :D

cheers,

Dan.

How's the pot configured, Weezer - is it a variable resistance to ground, or is it acting more like a resistive mixer? If the pot goes to ground, a double-pole switch will work. Gimme an idea of what you're working with, and I'll try to draw something up.

heres the schematic and pcb

i've near enough finished building it [thus making my website a lie] but this thought came to me, and i figured i'd fit it in.

my plan for the trimpots would be to have them surface mounted...so that you can alter settings without opening the case :D

cheers for the replies so far B)

edit: - duh, a link might help http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=73 :D

Edited by weezerboy

That's a fairly simple setup - simply connect the wipers on all pots to ground, and switch the outside leads (assuming you're switching the "blend" pot - not much point in switching the volume). With one of those cheap Lorlin rotary switches and a handful of trimmers, you could have 3 or 4 presets witrhout too much trouble. HTH