Router Bit Diameter

verhoevenc

I was just wondering when a router bit gets so big that it needs slowing down? Like from Myka's neck shaper tutorial it says that those big round overs do. However, I wanna get a 1/2" rabbit bit (total diameter of like 1.5" or something around that) to take a template i have for a semi-hollow and make it 1/2" smaller on ALL sides for a good solidbody size. Will I need to slow down this bit? Even if It's only being used to cut MDF?

Chris

I was just wondering when a router bit gets so big that it needs slowing down? Like from Myka's neck shaper tutorial it says that those big round overs do. However, I wanna get a 1/2" rabbit bit (total diameter of like 1.5" or something around that) to take a template i have for a semi-hollow and make it 1/2" smaller on ALL sides for a good solidbody size. Will I need to slow down this bit? Even if It's only being used to cut MDF?

Chris

Chris here's a good rule of thumb for most bits.

"Bit Diameter" "Max.Speed"

1" 24,000

11/4" to 2" 18,000

21/4" to 21/2" 16,000

3" to 31/2" 12,000

hope this helps.

mike

yeah,.... shoot.... I guess I can't use that bit then... cuase I've got a single speed that goes 25,000 RPM

Chris

What size fixed speed? Woodcraft has a speedcontrol for about $35 that will work if it's a 1hp or larger or maybe 1 1/4hp not sure on the minimum hp rating for the speed control. I've used one on a 1 1/2hp Bosch 1617 fixed speed with no issues.

edited to add: Here's the control I was talking about.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=3957

Mike