Mounting Sperzels...

Any tips for mounting tuners such as Sperzels which use the studs instead of screws to hold them securely?

I've mounted them before.. but always make a mess.. and at least 2 are usually crooked.

BEfore you drill the holes for the locator studs, put all the tuners in the headstock and loosely attach the nuts on top of them. then get yourself a small straight piece of wood or 6 inch straight edge and clamp it on the back of the headstock right up against the tuners. this will hold them all straight in line with one another. Them tighten the retaining nuts just enough to get the locating pins to make a dent in the back of the headstock. Then remove the tuners and drill your holes for the pins

I'm not sure of the correct procedure.. but here is how I mounted mine. First off, place the tuner into one of the tuner holes to make sure it will fit at all, if not your gonna have to drill it out to 10mm. After you have that out of the way. Take a caliper or tape measure, if your good with one and measure the distance between the middle of the tuner and the middle of the mounting stud. Now take that measurement and from the middle of the guitar tuner hole, make a mark with the exact distance you got from your earlier measurement. I find it easier to use a protractor to do so you can get the angle right and just mark it slowly below each tuner hole. Then all you have to do is go down to the next one and do the same.. Next measure from the top edge of the headstock to the middle of the tuner hole, and then you can move over and with that measurement draw you a hole that will match up with the arc you drew and draw a line.. you should have a cross + now.. and all you'll have to do is get you the right size drill bit and with a piece of tape, put it around the drill bit as a guide to know when the hole is deep enough. You'll need to measure the length of the stud to get that measurement. Just do the same thing for the other five and you'll be set. Theoretically, if your headstock was straight and the tuners was accurately placed you could just get the tuner distance from the top of the headstock on the 1st one and 6th one and make a mark that will cross over the arc at that distance and draw a staight line between them and that will give you the marks for the other four... We'll hope this helps, it's a long post but maybe it's making some kind of sense. lol.. This is just how I've had great results with them.. hope you have the same!

Matt

...and a third way...FWIW...

I take a piece of masking tape and stick it across all 6 holes on the back.

Then I take a ruler and pen and mark a straightline right thru the center of them all, just like you mark a centerline on a guitar body top.

Then I press one in place with my thumb to get the locating mark, measure the distance, and just mark the other five the same distance and drill 'em out.

Marking a centerline on tape assures they will all be uniformly lined up, and you only have to find one mark, and can drill all 6 off of that one mark.

That's the way I do it...