Can This Be Used?

One of the reasons Im leaning toward this is because I just got done making a custom pickguard and Im looking for a different style switch instead of the standard fender 5 way lever switch because Im really not sure how to cut a 1/16 inch wide straight line without screwing up the pickguard. So that is why I starting looking into this route, but Im wondering if there is any issues with having a rotary style switch instead of the lever switch? Also how different would this 2 pole 6 position rotary switch be incomparison to a standard fender Strat 5 way switch? I know that on the rotary switch there is 6 position and the lever switch has 5, but what would be the difference other than things such as that

You could use the 6 way switch, but you'll have to get creative with your wiring. That diagram you posted will be absolutely no help, as it's a four pole switch. Educate yourself on electronics and draw out a diagram of the switch and pickups and then determine what you want the pickups to do within the confines of the switch you have. I would really just try to get a switch that gives you the options you want; slotting a pickguard isn't all that hard.

Actually, using that switch for a Str@t setup gives you the one option everybody seems to want that isn't available with a standard 5-way; bridge + neck. Wire it like this:

Pos Pole 1	 Pole 2

1	Bridge	 Open

2	Bridge	 Middle

3	Open	   Middle

4	Neck	   Middle

5	Neck	   Open

6	Neck	   Bridge

Both common lugs go to the volume pot - it's a Str@t+1. :D

Actually, using that switch for a Str@t setup gives you the one option everybody seems to want that isn't available with a standard 5-way; bridge + neck. Wire it like this:

Pos Pole 1	 Pole 2

1	Bridge	 Open

2	Bridge	 Middle

3	Open	   Middle

4	Neck	   Middle

5	Neck	   Open

6	Neck	   Bridge

COOL THANKS B) Now I just have 2 questions.......................Ok now these are total newbie questions so bare with me here :D I just went and picked up the switch at the ever shrinking PoopShack. Well it doesnt tell me what each prong is for, I know which are the pole prongs,but not sure about the other ones. Im not sure if it matters, Im leaning to toward it doesnt but Im not sure how to go about hooking it up. Now my next TOTAL NEWB QUESTION IS ....................um not even sure if I should as this, becuase it is such a stupid question (hide face so flames dont hit it) which way is it held, it is kind of shaped like a diamond and Im not sure if it goes side ways (sides pointing up and down) or straight (long sides up and down). I know these are TOTAL newb questions, but that tis what Iam :D If anyone has time and wants to help a fellow out a diagram would be nice B)

Leave it to lovekraft. I guess I'm too lazy to see these combinations. As for which of the two common lugs go to which of the 12 other lugs in whatever position, you'll be able to figure that out just by looking at the guts of the switch as you turn it from one position to another. As for which way it goes based on the shape, it doesn't matter whatsoever. Just put it in whatever way it fits best. You do know you'll need a knob with a set screw for this switch, right? You'll also probably need to chop some of the shaft off just so that the knob is flush with the pickguard when you mount it.

Leave it to lovekraft. I guess I'm too lazy to see these combinations. As for which of the two common lugs go to which of the 12 other lugs in whatever position, you'll be able to figure that out just by looking at the guts of the switch as you turn it from one position to another. As for which way it goes based on the shape, it doesn't matter whatsoever. Just put it in whatever way it fits best. You do know you'll need a knob with a set screw for this switch, right? You'll also probably need to chop some of the shaft off just so that the knob is flush with the pickguard when you mount it.

Yeah I figured out which where the 2 poles. As for knobs I have many many of them that are 1/4 in diameter, but I think Im going to cast my own skull knobs at my dads metal shop.

Pos Pole 1	 Pole 2

1	Bridge	 Open

2	Bridge	 Middle

3	Open	   Middle

4	Neck	   Middle

5	Neck	   Open

6	Neck	   Bridge

Ok since I'm a total moron at this stuff, I pulled the child out of me and tried my hand at MS Paint, now don't make fun of my art work B). Im not sure how to wire the above diagram, so could someone explain it to me with my GREAT Paint work. Now I am pretty sure that this is probably super easy, but for some reason I just don't understand it :D

sadDiagram.jpg

Pos Pole 1	 Pole 2

1	Bridge	 Open

2	Bridge	 Middle

3	Open	   Middle

4	Neck	   Middle

5	Neck	   Open

6	Neck	   Bridge

Ok since I'm a total moron at this stuff, I pulled the child out of me and tried my hand at MS Paint, now don't make fun of my art work B). Im not sure how to wire the above diagram, so could someone explain it to me with my GREAT Paint work. Now I am pretty sure that this is probably super easy, but for some reason I just don't understand it :D

sadDiagram.jpg

Well, I don't think anyone is going to go out and buy one of these switches to help you out.

So how about giving us a clue? When P2 is connected to terminal #1... which terminal is P1 connected to? I would assume terminal #7, but that would just be an assumption.

Help us to help you.

Pos Pole 1	 Pole 2

1	Bridge	 Open

2	Bridge	 Middle

3	Open	   Middle

4	Neck	   Middle

5	Neck	   Open

6	Neck	   Bridge

Both common lugs go to the volume pot - it's a Str@t+1. B)

Ok since I'm a total moron at this stuff, I pulled the child out of me and tried my hand at MS Paint, now don't make fun of my art work :D. Im not sure how to wire the above diagram, so could someone explain it to me with my GREAT Paint work. Now I am pretty sure that this is probably super easy, but for some reason I just don't understand it :D

sadDiagram.jpg

Well, I don't think anyone is going to go out and buy one of these switches to help you out.

So how about giving us a clue? When P2 is connected to terminal #1... which terminal is P1 connected to? I would assume terminal #7, but that would just be an assumption.

Help us to help you.

Im sorry I didnt know I need that, Yup your assumption is correct.

OK so it goes like this

P2 P1

1 7

2 8

3 9

4 10

5 11

6 12

Im hope this is helps any :D Sorry for be such newb at this stuff

One of the reasons Im leaning toward this is because I just got done making a custom pickguard and Im looking for a different style switch instead of the standard fender 5 way lever switch because Im really not sure how to cut a 1/16 inch wide straight line without screwing up the pickguard.

it sounds like you're well on your way with the rotary switch, but it is possible to cut 5-way switch slots with a router. i did it using a 1/8" straight bit and a 1/2" diameter template-following collar. you make a template with two 1/2" D holes connected by a 1/2" slot that's 1/4" longer than you want the slot to be, on both ends

OK, now we're gettin' somewhere - just connect the ground lead from each pickup to your ground point (probably the back of the volume pot), connect the common lugs (the two in the middle) together and connect one to the output (either the volume pot, if there's only one, or the output jack), and connect each pickup's output (the hot lead if you're using a master volume, or the volume pot if you're using individual volumes) to the outer lugs as shown in the table. That's it, you're done. :D

Edited by lovekraft