What Is A Sustainer?

Julie

What exactly is a sustainer, and it's purpose.

I have only read just a few of the replies on the forum topic

"sustainer Ideas" but have not been able to figure out what it

is and it's purpose. If I had more time I would read more, to find

out, but figured since I don't, there is somebody out there nice enough

to clue the noobie in. :D:D

A sustainer is just a clever toy that keeps a string vibrating once it's been picked, so notes sustain (ideally) forever. It's kinda like an Ebow that works on all six strings at once. The sustainer thread is based on a design that uses an electromagnetic driver to vibrate the string, but acoustic sustainers are also possible (ie, vibrating the actual guitar body/neck to keep the string moving). Both methods tend to mimic controlled acoustic feedback, which is how we used to get infinite sustain back in the 60s and 70s. That's a basic overview, but I'm sure Pete will have something to add. :D

Julie,

I have been wondering the same thing.

From some of the posts I have read, I think it's some sort of electromechanical device you put in the guitar that gives vibrational feedback to keep the strings vibrating.

Note: I figure if I put the above statement it will generate a bunch of posts letting me know just how much I don’t know and we both get to learn.

By the way welcome, I’m new also and am trying to put together some advice for new members.

Visit this post and it will give you a start. (Note: It’s not done yet.)

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=22201

Be Cool,

d ward

A sustainer is just a clever toy that keeps a string vibrating once it's been picked, so notes sustain (ideally) forever. It's kinda like an Ebow that works on all six strings at once. The sustainer thread is based on a design that uses an electromagnetic driver to vibrate the string, but acoustic sustainers are also possible (ie, vibrating the actual guitar body/neck to keep the string moving). Both methods tend to mimic controlled acoustic feedback, which is how we used to get infinite sustain back in the 60s and 70s. That's a basic overview, but I'm sure Pete will have something to add. :D

As always LK has said it in far fewer words and turns in the conversation than me!!! Thanks :DThat is a great overview.

The Sustainer Ideas Thread is a very long running project on exploring, developing and promoting the idea of "sustainers" or infinite sustain devices of all types...but with a bit of a focus on my experiments and helping those who want to emulate that.

As such...the 80 pages of Sustainer Ideas is way to confusing to read...though it was all very exciting at the time!!! There are some great things in there but is almost a whole forum to itself now. So, this is a great opportunity to explain and promote it a little more without all that other stuff.

Besides the fabulous ebow there are two commercial systems currently available by Fernandes and Sustainiac. I have developed a viable DIY model as well that has some advantages.

Here is a pic of my infamous sustainer guitar....

StratTop.jpg

If you ignore all the other modifications on this thing...there are two small switches just above the jack plate that operate the thing. The driver that moves the strings on my guitar is built on top of the neck pickup and is black.

The two switches are for on/off and normal and harmonic modes (this guitar also has a sensitivity knob and an indicator LED, but this is an option).

In normal mode...a note (or chord) keeps vibrating as long as you hold down the note. In fact, the guitar will play itself (even unplugged) so that you can play notes that swell like a bowed or woodwind instrument simply by fretting (not picking) a note.

In harmonic mode...not only do you get infinite sustain but it will automatically drive the note as a harmonic an octave, fifth or higher above the fretted notes. This extends the range of the instrument greatly in addition to the sustain.

Both modes allow for a huge range of new techniques and sounds...but it takes work. Given the rarity of the device no one has fully exploited it's potential. IT IS NOT AN EASY WAY OUT...it will not make you a better player, just give you more options. That said though...it is a lot of fun to play and opens so many new doors!

You could look at it like the bow is to the violin. You get all the conventional functionality of the electric guitar plus infinite sustain and auto harmonics, extended range and a new set of possible techniques and effects.

But wait there is possibly more!!! I am seriously looking into the fretless guitar. (even Vai has started experimenting with this idea). Now with a bass, the fretless is not that uncommon...it's large strings allow it to work without frets fairly well. The potential in the hands of someone like Jaco and Pino really brought it's unique sound and potential to the fore. Now with a guitar it is more difficult because you expect to be able to play chords (though it didn't stop Jaco) and the small strings are dampended too much by the flesh of your fingers. Slide guitar is one kind of solution when you think about it. Now, with the sustainer, as with the "fretless" violin family, you would have the opportunity to sustain notes instead of simply making plink, plink noises on it!!!

All of this relies on good players making good music that exploits the device. That will take quite a bit of time but for it to come to being sustainers need to be put in more players hands....

But the main thing is that the "sustainer" equiped guitar is so much fun to play...tempted??? pete

But the main thing is that the "sustainer" equiped guitar is so much fun to play...tempted??? pete

Too...much...temptation. Must...have...sustainer... :D

Seriously, psw - you're starting to wear me down. Everywhere I look now I see sustainers! I'm going to have to look into these things... :D

Don't want to start yet another sustainer thread....but to illustrate what a sustainer sounds (and looks like) and what you could do with a fretless guitar...here is something from Mr Vai...

....Check out G3 in Denver the first track in Vai's set "I Know You're Here" played on his triple neck Jem. This guy has put the whole concert up (can you do that?) so you have to move the slider thingy to 25:45 to get to the bit that most features the Sustainer.

I know you're here - Vai

This guitar has 12 string, 6 with trem and a fretless...the fretless works with a sustainer but the same effects (without the sliding) as far as sustain can be got from a fretted guitar. You will notice that he can play it by just hammering on notes (no picking). He seems to have a sustainer on all his guitars now and it pops up here and there throughout the concert. Vai is such a show off!!!

...pete B)

Yes...he is a show-off, got to love him... :D Towards the end of this song he plays the fretless with one hand and strums the 12 string with the other while another guitarist makes the chords....hahahaha :D

Still...one of the few players making some kind of use of the device and a great example of that rare bird the fretless sustainer guitar...

pete

Oh...and I hope Mr V has good health care...you could really do yourself an injury with that guitar there....hahaha

Edited by psw

:D Yes...he reckons that D Weiner taught him everything he know about guitar playing...well at least last time Mr. V was down here.... :D

And....oppps...I forgot to post the link didn't I...oh well...it's there now....

pete