Finishes, Woods, Pickups, Everything

Daniel Sorbera

Pick some  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So how goes the planning Mr.?

Do you have some of your details in mind. Such as binding, fretboard, inlay, veneers, and so on? I was really knocked out by your last dye work, and I am sure you will bring the major elements together very well. I always find choosing details that bring it all together to be a big challenge, but to me great details take a guitar to the next level.

Peace,Rich

Yes I admit It. :D I'm addicted to guitar buiding. B) Basicly It's all I think about, day and night. :D

Just sitting there thinking over the details is one of the most interesting parts of the build for me.

I was thinking of making the carve more like a PRS insted of like the Wenge one I did. On the wenge one the carve is a real gentle slope in from the edge. On the PRS there is a small lip of flat than the carve starts.

For binding first I was thinking of doing a natural bind like on this anderson. I really like it but I'm thinking I wan't something more complex and impressive. This will be my fifth guitar and I really wan't to go all out on this one. I'm not sure how regular binding with purfling would look on a carvetop. Got any examples I can look at? Or any sugestions for a binding that would look good?

The fingerboard will be a nice black peice of ebony (I'm in love with ebony as a fingerboard) and the neck and headstock will be bound in flame maple with BWB purfling. The neck and back mahogany will be grainfilled with black grainfiller and stained a nice, slightly dark, golden hue.

I havn't decided on the inlay yet but I was thinking of some kind of cool symetric shape at the twelth fret.

The headstock will have a front veneer (Well it will be about 1/8" thick) that will match the flame maple body.

I have been testing diffrent dyes and I have decieded to go with the light amber stain on this one. Basicly it looks kinda like this PRS.

I also found a really nice green. Best green I've ever seen, and I don't like many. I had some serious problems with the Quilt super thin double cut (thats why I never posted pics of it done...) I have to redo the neck and completely refinish it so I figured I'll sand it down and stain it in the "Iguana green" (catchy name huh?) I like the tiger eye but after thinking about it I really think the green would look much better on that perticular body shape.

I was thinking of doing a matching mahogany cavity cover with flame maple bind on the sides of it (kinda like the one Russ did on his Tang top)

for Pickups I am going to use the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover set with nickel covers. I'm really likeing the sound of vintage PAF humbuckers lately. They really sound better clean and I prefer there "just on the verge of breakup" sound (which is where I play mostly)

I was thinking of satin finished nickel knobs. Anyone know where I can get some?

This will be my first guitar with a tremolo. I'm going to be using this one from stewmac. I always loved the look of those things.

And of course I'll be doing some fun wireing with it. First I will have a 3 way rotary that changes both humbuckers from, singlecoil, both coils in parallel, both coils series. Also maybe a push pull volume that changes the phase of one of them so you can have that out of phase sound with both of them on.

Like I said, this is prety much all I think about. B) I already have my acoustic build planned, I'm going to build it as soon as I finish the five electrics I'm working on right now :D

Edited by Godin SD

for Pickups I am going to use the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover set with nickel covers. I'm really likeing the sound of vintage PAF humbuckers lately. They really sound better clean and I prefer there "just on the verge of breakup" sound (which is where I play mostly)

Nice choice :D

They also sound really good "all the way broken up" through a good tube amp. :D

Actually, I loved your wenge #2. Although I dislike the shape (like a demented milk dud), I enjoyed your close attention to detail and research behind all this luthiery things.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but ur like 15-16 right?? And from there I can tell that you are a very gifted craftsman. lol..God Bless