Black Hardware?

First time working with black hardware--in this case a black StewMac fixed bridge...W is this stuff? Looks hazy and I need to clean and polish it up. Is is paint? Is it powdercoating? Is it something I don't even know about? What is it?

Edited by Maiden69

Don't polish it! If you do you run the risk of taking too much off. Its really thin, almost paint-like. you'll see it alot on cheaper hardware. You can rub it down a bit with a soft cloth and it'll take the haze off.

Nope, cloth rub did nothing.

Tried auto glaze (the most gentle of auto polishes) on the bottom of the plate. Like GuitarGuy said, it removed the black quickly and didn't make it look any better.

I don't know what this stuff is! Powdercoating would be more durable (heck I think paint would be too) but paint would respond much better to polish.

What the hizzy?!?!?!

Nope, cloth rub did nothing.

Tried auto glaze (the most gentle of auto polishes) on the bottom of the plate. Like GuitarGuy said, it removed the black quickly and didn't make it look any better.

I don't know what this stuff is! Powdercoating would be more durable (heck I think paint would be too) but paint would respond much better to polish.

What the hizzy?!?!?!

i can't tell you what it is but almost every piece of black hardware i order is the same. i've had luck cleaning it off with a soft rag and some naptha or a dremmel tool with a clean buffing pad. my guess is that it's just something invented to irritate us. :D

I got a cloudy-as-s**t hardtail here right now and am stumped. Will try rubbing it down, but I doubt it will work.

Hell, you buy cheaper hardware, you get what you pay for I suppose.

it's not just cheap hardware..i've had the same thing on schaller bridges, nearly everything i get from allparts and the tacos i got last night..ok, i made up the part about the tacos..but it really is very common..just clean it with a little naptha or goofoff and it's fine underneath.