Jewelers Saws

I tried the one stewmac sells, but it doesn't have any tension adjustment (at least I couldn't figure out how to make it work) so I bought this one from Alpha Supply: jeweler's saw frame

I think any regular jeweler's saw blade will work fine. I mostly use the extra-fine 000 stewmac blades for cutting shell, but Alpha has all kinds as well. Buy lots, they break pretty easily. While you're at it, get some of the cutting lubricant - it helps.

Mike

I use stewmac's (tension's fiddly, but easy; just compress the 'U' frame a little when snugging down the second lockscrew), love the comfy rubberized handle. It's a Grobet (swiss made), I believe. Good stuff. The blades, well, sometimes I get them from StewMac, but often as not I pop into the local mom and pop store and get the same brand blades (german, made for metal, very fine cut, forget the brand) for about the same, only without the transatlantic shipping.

I use stewmac's (tension's fiddly, but easy; just compress the 'U' frame a little when snugging down the second lockscrew), love the comfy rubberized handle. It's a Grobet (swiss made), I believe. Good stuff. The blades, well, sometimes I get them from StewMac, but often as not I pop into the local mom and pop store and get the same brand blades (german, made for metal, very fine cut, forget the brand) for about the same, only without the transatlantic shipping.

I also like the one stewmac sells, once you get the tension figured out, (watch some Larry Robinson vids if you don't have a clue), it's really good for cutting inlays. The tension is the key, if it's just right, you get the best cut, and don't break as many blades either. The one from stewmac isn't very costly, so I don't see a reason not to buy one from them. Just my opinion though.

Get yourself an adjustable one - probably the same cost or less than SM want for a non adjustable one. Just google jewellers supplies or piercing saw or even Ebay. For blades i'd stick with Swiss (or German made) #2's for general cutting moving to #3's and above as you get more confident and stop snapping them every five seconds !

Jem.