My First Project

Well, I was drooling while I was looking around at Warmoth one night and thought about how I would cut their already routed guitar bodies. Then I was sad when I realized how much I was going to spend (almost a grand on supplies and tools). So last week my brain went nuts after 3 red bulls and stared at my old 50 dollar Flying V copy. My plan is to cut the V into a rectangular shape (as the red lines show) and then glue SEVERAL, yes I said SEVERAL, pieces of maple to it.

Body1.jpg

The only reason why Im molesting this Flying V is because I never play it, but the neck feels great, almost as good as my SG-All American.

I hope the finished piece will turn out like this:

Sketch for new body

Im still thinking about buying a planer like this Home Depot or just seeing if my old high school or someone I know has one, because the Flying V is a little thinner than the maple and ash blanks Im planning to buy...and yes Im planning on gluing ash AND maple to it. Well only if I can afford it when the time comes.

I will be filling in the cavities with scrap wood and then routing out the back for the control cavities. Still deciding on what pickups to use, possibly a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat at the neck and a super distortion on the bridge.

For the paintjob I might do this clean line option (warmoth) so I can show off all the glued pieces to on the back of the guitar. I will reshape the headstock on the neck, will probably use the planet waves trim lock tuners.

My only prolem with this is that I either need to install new frets or have them dressed. Their pretty worn in, but dont have too many problems with buzzing and intonation, but it would be nice to have new shiny frets on there.

My plan is to cut the V into a rectangular shape (as the red lines show) and then glue SEVERAL, yes I said SEVERAL, pieces of maple to it.

That's similar to what I did to a cheap tele clone --came up with the Bocaster. It was my first-ever project, I had no tools and no idea of what I was doing, so it seemed like the best way to get my feet wet. Too bad the neck on that one was a real POS.

What I did was cut off the bouts --then I spun the scrap pieces and reglued them to get my final body shape. That might be more difficult to do with the v, since there'll be less scrap. It'd solve your planer problems though.

Sounds like a fun project..

I hope the finished piece will turn out like this:

Sketch for new body

I will be filling in the cavities with scrap wood and then routing out the back for the control cavities. Still deciding on what pickups to use, possibly a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat at the neck and a super distortion on the bridge.

Why rout the cavities in the back if you're going to have a pickguard anyway which will hide the cavities?

Brian.

Any idea how you're going to carve all those contours? Hand carve?

Nice design btw.

Personally I would buy a router before anything seeing that you plan to convert HH to HSS and cavities

And is that s'pose to be Floyd trem system on the drawing? (The big rectangle shaded area where the bridge is s'pose to be)? Also, if you're buying tools.. Try getting a name brand used like.. off eBay. Or at least do a search, who knows there might be ones available on your local area. This is quite common for shopmachines

Good luck! Again, I love the design.

-IR

• 1 month later...

Wow havent checked this site in a while. Anyway to answer some questions...

Yes I will handcarve the contours, I would start from a scratch but its a bit cheaper this way and its also a way for me to learn some things when I mess something up...and yes it will happen.

On the bridge, I will use a stop bar and tailpiece because I never use a whammy bar at all. Every guitar I ever had that had a tremolo in it I just added all the springs I could to the back of it and tightened it all the way to where the back of the bridge made hard contact with the body. I get a fuller tone that way and I go less out of tune when palm muting since I happen to press pretty hard.

Saves time calculating bridge distance, pickup cavities and neck ocket measurements I guess.
Exactamundo. Plus once I finish this Im gonna get the pre-routed bodies from warmoth and hopefully make a really good template of this guitar whenever I finish it.

wouldn't it be simpler to just throw the body away and start from scratch with that sweet neck?

+1 to this suggestion. If you've got a good neck then it'll probably be worth your while to just make another body purely from scratch. I know it might be a scary concept BUT it will be FAR less work in the long run. Think of all the cutting you'll be doing with this let alone thickness planing and jointing. Buying a cheep Ash or mahogany body blank will be a lot easier and probably cost not as much either. There are even PG members that will sell you wood for very reasonable prices.

Saves time calculating bridge distance, pickup cavities and neck pocket measurements I guess.

You don't need to do any working out you just need to measure the ones off the body you have. And even if you did have to work it out it would be less work than all the joining and planing you're currently planning to do.

Robert