Nitro Cure Time

The first time I used Deft (spray can) I rushed the paint job and sprayed to often and to wet. It was like 6 weeks before I could wet sand with out the paper loading up. I learned my lesson and took my time spraying the next one. I still will wait 1 month minimum to sand and buff. Other then long cure time, I have no complaints about spray can Deft. I like the build another guitar while your waiting advise. Say, did anyone notice that this is addictive?

The first time I used Deft (spray can) I rushed the paint job and sprayed to often and to wet. It was like 6 weeks before I could wet sand with out the paper loading up. I learned my lesson and took my time spraying the next one. I still will wait 1 month minimum to sand and buff. Other then long cure time, I have no complaints about spray can Deft. I like the build another guitar while your waiting advise. Say, did anyone notice that this is addictive?

With the deft how should you spray.. do you need to reapply after you give it a good spray...some one told me to do a dust coat then two medium passes ... is that all? How many more time should I coat it? If I need to put more on (which i would think so), How long do I wait in between. Sorry for so many question I just want my guitar to turn out right.

Thanks

Go to the www.projectguitar.com main page, click on tutorials, then go to stewmac's finishing tutorial for nitro lacquer. It gives a good regiment for how many and how often to do coats. HOWEVER, don't trust the end part where they say to sand after a week. This is the facts that started this thread lol. But other than that it's a good starting point for learning to spray.

Chris

The definative nitro cure time answers is _______ ?

I finished a korina jem with Deft lacquer. I applied 3 full cans. I wet sanded after 1 week and buffed with no problems. The nitro continued to cure after I wet sanded and so it settlled into the grain.

Had I waited a month, I'm sure that the nitro would have stayed smoother but I actually like the nitro to settle in the grain like that.

If you want an absolutely smooth finish, use grain filler.

Next time, I'll wait 30 days instead of just 5; that way, it will be easier to buff because it should be harder.

F.M.

I only used one can (quart) of Deft brushing lacquer on my Strat body. This is the first time I've finished a guitar. Should I use more? Or are you using rattle cans.

:D

• 3 months later...

I know this an old topic, but wanted to add a little information about DEFT. I remembered seeing people saying that you can't spray DEFT with good results because it says not to spray it. I was on another forum and they were discussing lacquers. One of the members actually called DEFT and asked about spraying and was told by the company that they had to print that on the cans because of something with the EPA. DEFT says that you can spray their lacquer and get the same or better results than brushing it.