Low Profile Side Mount Input Jack –does It Exist?

I am building a guitar with a body that resembles a Flying V and I want to use an angled type cord jack (like those on a Strat that are mounted on the front but it is angled so the cord points downwards and back so the cord doesn’t stick straight out).

The problem is that the edges of my guitar body are routed with such a large radius that there is not enough flat surface left on the side for the jack to mount on with out it’s sides hanging over.

I have tried shaving the edges off the jack body to get it to fit but it is still too large. I am dead set against mounting the cord jack in the front (for some reason I have always been that way)… I really don’t feel like custom fabricating one, so if any one knows where I could get a low profile angled type cord jack let me know.

Thanks!

I bought a monster cable with a right angle jack...I actually like the jack on the front of the guitar, makes it more comfortable when sitting down (or slumping backward on the couch :D ). I run the cable up past the strap, it never gets in the way.

Otherwise, there's always the option of mounting the jack on the rear of the guitar. Or installing a endpin jack.

Oh yeah, and here's an idea I'd been thinking of, until I discovered that Myka already invented it:

60.jpg

He doesn't put the jack in there, but you could easily do that. Here's the link to the page.

I am building a guitar with a body that resembles a Flying V and I want to use an angled type cord jack (like those on a Strat that are mounted on the front but it is angled so the cord points downwards and back so the cord doesn’t stick straight out). I am dead set against mounting the cord jack in the front.

here's a recent PG thread in the finishing section that has a pic of a V with the strat-style jack plate mounted on the rear face of the guitar: http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=22715 . since you already own the strat-style jack plate, that would seem like a perfect solution.

on my 7-string V, i mounted the jack on the inside of one of the wings. i don't have a picture of the jack istself, but in the bottom of this pic you can just barely see the hole along the inside of the wing.

We'll just assume you didn't see what was done to the example I posted. You flatten out the area that the jack will occupy. It can work, and i did read the post. The idea is there to be left or taken at the reader's discretion. This is all a matter of ingenuity; there's not always a yes or no answer.

peace,

russ

You could always mount a standard strat jack on the side of the guitar.

Like...

I've been looking at ideas for jack mounting as well. Thanks for the ideas!

I bought a monster cable with a right angle jack...I actually like the jack on the front of the guitar, makes it more comfortable when sitting down (or slumping backward on the couch :D ). I run the cable up past the strap, it never gets in the way.

Otherwise, there's always the option of mounting the jack on the rear of the guitar. Or installing a endpin jack.

Oh yeah, and here's an idea I'd been thinking of, until I discovered that Myka already invented it:

He doesn't put the jack in there, but you could easily do that. Here's the link to the page.

I've been leaning toward placing the jack on the front of the guitar for the same reasons. It just seems the least in the way whether standing or sitting.

Not to take this too far off topic - I was curious what you thought about the Myka control placement. Its visually interesting although I'm not sure about its practicality for controls. I can definitely see placing the jack there but otherwise...

S/he actually explained that that won't work and why. I suggest you re-read his/her post, simply because I don't feel like re-typing it.

Galen.

No, he explained why he THOUGHT it wouldn't work. Russ is pointing out that there IS a way --a very elegant way-- to make it work.

Never underestimate the Garehanman! :D

Not to take this too far off topic - I was curious what you thought about the Myka control placement. Its visually interesting although I'm not sure about its practicality for controls. I can definitely see placing the jack there but otherwise...

It depends on how fiddly you are --since I tend to set it and forget it, the side mounted method would work fine for me, and it leaves you with a lot of different options --such as, mounting only the fiddly bits on the surface (i.e., the knobs/switches you'd actually use in a performance) and placing the others out of the way.

My idea was different from Myka's, since I'm building a solid-body guitar (his method works because it's a chambered/semi with a cap). I planned on routing the control cavity from the back, leave a strip of wood (as wide as you'd normally leave for rear-mounted surface controls) then route an indent for the knobs on the side). Easy enough to achieve. Myka's design made me realize I could add an extra plate on top of that, which would probably help keep things stable, especially if I put a jack in there.

Getting back to the jack question --you could easily adapt this kind of indent for your jack --there's no reason why you couldn't mount the jack really deep into the side, basically bury the jack itself. You wouldn't need a jack plate at all, just make it big enough for a washer.

It makes a lot of sense, mechanically, on a hollowbody. Relocating the controls allows the top to vibrate that much more freely.

No, he explained why he THOUGHT it wouldn't work. Russ is pointing out that there IS a way --a very elegant way-- to make it work.

Good 'ol idch, always there to save my skin :D .

Getting back to the jack question --you could easily adapt this kind of indent for your jack --there's no reason why you couldn't mount the jack really deep into the side, basically bury the jack itself. You wouldn't need a jack plate at all, just make it big enough for a washer.

Exactly what I'm planning on doing with my current project. Drill once with a bit that's big enough to accomodate the lugs and wiring, and then drill again (but only partway, to the point of entry of the jack) with a larger bit that's going to be the size of a washer or whatnot. My plan is to use a wood disc, which will then screw onto the surface of the "larger" drill work.

It's a lot like the Jem-style thang, but on the back at an angle, instead of on the "side".

Greg