Microphone Mounted In Guitar?

Mickguard

I was just checking out Myka's web site (again :D ) and I came across this guitar:

It has a microphone embeded in it --for feedback on demand, he says. But how does that work?

Seems like it's something I'd like to have....

Is it semi-hollow? I tried embedding a condenser mic in a P-bass once, and it didn't work out too well. The sound was ok, but I had to apply a huge amount of gain and some pretty radical filtering. Handling and fretting noise was a problem, as was noise in the circuit (shielding and proper lead layout would have helped, but noise was always going to be a problem due to the high gain involved).

Anyway, I'm curious about how Myka is doing it... post back if you find something out.

Edited by fookgub

ummm why don't you just email him? :D

Because I think it's an interesting idea and wanted to bring it up here. Might be useful for others, not just me.

I'm sure psw will have plenty of ideas about this one. :D

Besides, I think anyone building his own guitars should look at Myka's work --totally inspiring stuff! I love luthier sites where they go beyond the call of duty and come up with their own ideas on the way things should be.

I believe, but don't quote me, that the mic is there to pick up sounds from maraccas/shakers used by the player, not so much as a pickup for the guitar sound.

David's got great taste, and design and building skills to back it up. One of my favourite builders, and a great guy to boot.

I was hoping for a link...

Mika's Mic Guitar

I found the guitar but no mention of it's use for feedback there...might get microphonic feedback...squeeeeel...hmmmm

(maybe some acoustic sound at a pinch)

I doubt that this mic is for feedback. I did however experiment with small speakers about this size which vibrated the body enough to make an acoustic sustainer. Not really efficient enough on the body (normally you'd have it on the end of the neck like the Sustainiac Model C and powered by a floor amp), at least with my experiments. I also cut the cones out os some and put washers on the vice coil to add to the vibration of it and cut down on noise...it seemed to work best though with the cone on, but mounted with the cone down on the face of the guitar behind the bridge and a little below. Made a bit of a wracket though. A bigger speaker and i'd have an onboard practice amp!

I love some of Mika's work...this one especially for some reason...

040_01.jpg

If you want a bit of feedback, a semi acoustic will give it and a bit of acoustic volume...but if you want feedback at will and with control at any level, plus infinite sustain...well you know where to go... :D pete aka sir sustain-a-lot :D

ahh...i just saw that post mattia...quite possibly...it's not quite mounted to pickup vocals like Les Pauls goosneck mounted mic... B)

Mika's Mic Guitar

I found the guitar but no mention of it's use for feedback there...might get microphonic feedback...squeeeeel...hmmmm

(maybe some acoustic sound at a pinch)

And I quote:

September 14th, 2005 - Now this is a unique guitar. My client requested an interesting feature; a microphone embedded into the top. For what you might ask? For feedback on demand, what else! This guitar has a very singing quality to it that compliments its stylish looks. Sleek and reminiscent of the late LP Jrs, this guitar has a Hipshot tremolo and some wickedly toneful black limbs (or Korina). Check it out: click here.

Maybe the guy holds the guitar up to his amp?

switched my idea around once i got a danelectro amp found two posibilites put a small speaker on the back of the floyd or strat trem block. nice ... or just put it in the rear of the guitar behind the trem cavity. round where the arm rest was worked on the cheap ibanez and cheap strat copy.

same speakerless mod. howver hte ibanez one still had the workign speaker in it. so you could hear it but shoot no one is micing the actual guitar so i had not problems with it nor did the client.

ciao

ed

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this thread. Yes, the mic is for feedback. It makes some hideous squealing feedback, just what the client wanted. With the volume control you can get all sorts of different levels of feedback but they are not harmonic at all since the pickups are no longer involved. The original idea apparently came from David Torn. He has the same setup on at least one of his guitars.

~David