My Neck Thru Guitar Project, Unique Design!

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just didn't want you to wake up one day with all the finish peeling off like sunburnt skin peace.gif

I wouldn't want that either :D

Thanks for being concerned

BTW- I made a groovy truss rod cover out of some laminated veneer this morning, but had to leave to go to my Mum's house before I got the chance to take a pic :D . It has my initials embossed on it.

phto0489hh9.jpg

th_phto0488gp8.jpg

Here's another photo of the finish and a crappy photo of my trussrod cover with my initials on it.

If you're wondering about the blue lines on the headstock, they were to help me to get the tuners lined up. They'll be covered in black laquer soon.

also here is a link to see the one of the finish full size

More photos!

th_bdt.jpgth_PHTO0494.jpg

Installed the trem, and lacquered the headstock.

The headstock photo is really crappy because the camera battery was too low to let me use the flash. (I used all the power for the flash in the first pic)

Also the paint doesnt look nearly that horrible in real life :D

BDT on the truss rod cover is my initials, and III on the headstock is just cos its my third attempt at guitar building (first decent attempt though B) )

You cant tell in the photo, but the III is curved to match the shape of the headstock.

Looking at it with the hardware on it, I'm thinking black pickup covers will probably work best.

---------------------------

EDIT: Why's my headstock pic so small?- photobucket did that with the pic i put in my last post too :D

Forgot to add that the tuners are recessed. Cant see that in the photo though.

Also theres some nicely figured flame maple veneer under that black lacquer. :D

Seems wasteful, but its the only veneer I had (excluding lacewood which is a nightmare due to its britleness and huge pores)

Edited by Ben

CopyofPHTO0495.jpg

CLICK IMAGE FOR LARGE PIC

Fitted tuners, strung it up and played it for an hour B)

I LOVE IT !!!

I'm really pleased-

• I've confirmed that my fretjob went well, since with no truss rod adjustment or any propper set up I can get a low action and no significant fretbuzz anywhere on the neck (except the 6th fret on the high E which should be easily sorted)
    • The tuners definitely achieve a straight string pull- look at the photo, theres no nut on it :D The first fret is acting like a temporary zero fret
      • Tuner recesses look neat and tidy
        • trem works as it should

[*]neck feels great

[*]it sounds loud and resonant

[*]Comfy to play

I'm pleased with everything! :D:D

That pic also shows how I masked the sides of the headstock for a 'faux binding' effect.

Now to sort out that ludicrous wiring scheme... B)

all comments welcome

I've been playing it a little more- this thing is pretty damn loud acoustically compared to my other guitars, I think its because its about 75% hollow.

Its also light and well balanced.

I've also noticed that I forgot to add any side dots on the fretboard :D

Still loving it! :D

Thanks!

I'm glad to hear that yours is nearing completion. I've followed your thread since the first post and I 'm looking forward to seeing the thing finished :D

• 11 months later...
what kind of music do play? to me this looks like a metal-type guitar.. i dont think p-90's (or a clone of them) are the best choice in my opinion..

but what do i know? tone is all in the fingers...

put up some sound clips when your finished.. i would love to hear some

rock hard man :D

Heh, Thanks for digging this up and reminding me it needs finishing- I got so caught up with new ideas I almost forgot about it!

Its nearly there, just needs the wiring doing and I have a 3 month holiday to work on it :D

I play all sorts of music, to answer you question.

And I will record sound clips.