Robo Sander Vs Microplane Rotary

Mickguard

I'm working up to my first neck build and I've got some tool money to spend this month... :D

I'd been planning on getting a robo-sander, but the recent microplane discussion caught my eye and led me to the microplane rotary thingamajig (with the follower kit).

My thought is that I'll have better luck using a tool like this, rather than the router, to get the initial shape of the neck (i.e., less risk of tearout, better control).

But I'm hoping I can get a few thoughts on the advantages of one over the other --and even if they're really necessary.

In terms of cost, the robo sander seems to take it:

Two advantages of the robo sander is that the replacement papers are cheap and I can order it from Stewmac (because I'm ordering some fretting tools and other stuff, so I'll combine shipping and save a few bucks that way). I'd only buy one size though.

On the other hand, the initial outlay for the microplane is less--Hartley sells a kit with two sizes and the follower kit for $27 --but they don't ship internationally, don't sell the other tools I want, so I'll end up paying twice for shipping. And the replacement blades are pretty expensive too (and I've read they wear out pretty quickly?). So in the end, it'll be more expensive than the robo-sander.

The microplane doesn't make dust they say, but I wear a respirator whenever I work anyway, and I can make as much dust as I want in my workspace.

So what about in terms of performance?

And mostly, how necessary/helpful do you feel this kind of tool is?

The robo sander has one major flaw - the guide roller is not the same size of the drum+paper, in fact its not even close. Your template will need to be about a 1/16" (1.5mm) smaller on all sides to compensate. We prefer precision cutting componets like a bearing guide router bit but the robo sander can be used to even out a bandsaw cut making a router bit cut a bit easier. The microplane looks like a good alternative but we do not have any experience with it.

I've seen the microplane your talking about in wood sale magazine before. I personally have never had any experience with one, so I can't really tell you one way or the other. I do know, however; what the Robo-Sander will do, and can highly recommend it. I can't tell you how many times I've used it with excellent results. Anyone have the Microplane rotary? I'm curious myself as to how well it works.

The robo sander has one major flaw - the guide roller is not the same size of the drum+paper, in fact its not even close. Your template will need to be about a 1/16" (1.5mm) smaller on all sides to compensate. We prefer precision cutting componets like a bearing guide router bit but the robo sander can be used to even out a bandsaw cut making a router bit cut a bit easier. The microplane looks like a good alternative but we do not have any experience with it.

Actually some of the Robo-Sanders guide rollers are like you say. But, that's the ones I go after. What I've been doing since I discovered the same thing long ago, is to use it to my benefit. For example, my steps to cutting out a body.

1. Use template to draw out the body.

2. Bandsaw outside the line as close as you can.

3. Realign the template with your marks and use the Robo-Sander to get you real close to flush with the template.

4. Since you only have a small amount of wood left (1/16" or less) you can use a flush trim pattern bit to finish it off and effectively remove the sand marks, and leave you with a very smooth edge.

It will cut down your chances of tearout, reduce the amount of sanding you'd have to do if you just used the Robo-Sander, and leave you with very accurate body cutout safely.

Actually some of the Robo-Sanders guide rollers are like you say. But, that's the ones I go after. What I've been doing since I discovered the same thing long ago, is to use it to my benefit. For example, my steps to cutting out a body.

1. Use template to draw out the body.

2. Bandsaw outside the line as close as you can.

3. Realign the template with your marks and use the Robo-Sander to get you real close to flush with the template.

4. Since you only have a small amount of wood left (1/16" or less) you can use a flush trim pattern bit to finish it off and effectively remove the sand marks, and leave you with a very smooth edge.

It will cut down your chances of tearout, reduce the amount of sanding you'd have to do if you just used the Robo-Sander, and leave you with very accurate body cutout safely.

Ah, I see. What I do now is I use a guide collar on the router --depending on which bit I use, that gives me a gap from 1 mm to 4 mm (I have two collars--one is 16mm, the other is 12 mm, but I don't want to use a bit less than 8 mm) to the actual template.

So what I've been doing:

1. Make my template.

2. Jigsaw outside of the line (leaving enough space to because the jigsaw doesn't cut perfectly straight)

3. Attach the guide collar and using progressively larger bits to get me closer to the template.

4. When it's at 1 mm, I switch to a template bit to take off the rest.

5. Sand to clean up.

I like using the guide collar because it gives you lots of control --you have to go through several stages to get to the final edge. The lip on the collar is pretty deep, so that helps eliminate some of the risk (not all!) of the router slipping .

I wonder if the microplane device has the same gap?

If you've ever used a microplane product, you'll know that its surface is literally a series of small little "plane"-type doodads. The reason it doesn't make dust is because it shaves off a series of small chips instead.

So, in some cases and for some wood, I wonder if it might be too "aggressive"?

Greg

That seems pricy for the Microplane. I got the one inch rotary thing and the follower piece for $15.

Another option is making your own robo sander type affair. Here's a link:

pattern sander

I've used sandpaper, I've used files, and I've used a microplane tool. The microplane tool removed material very, very quickly and left a fairly clean edge. I personally like them, but haven't had a chance to use the rotary version I bought yet.

Hey, thanks for that, Cody! No Robo-Sanders available in these parts anyhow (you'd think Ottawa, a reasonable-sized city, would have one somewhere, but no...) and I've always suspected there'd be an easy way to do something just as good. And here it is. :D

Greg

I'm working up to my first neck build and I've got some tool money to spend this month... :D

I'd been planning on getting a robo-sander, but the recent microplane discussion caught my eye and led me to the microplane rotary thingamajig (with the follower kit).

My thought is that I'll have better luck using a tool like this, rather than the router, to get the initial shape of the neck (i.e., less risk of tearout, better control).

But I'm hoping I can get a few thoughts on the advantages of one over the other --and even if they're really necessary.

In terms of cost, the robo sander seems to take it:

Two advantages of the robo sander is that the replacement papers are cheap and I can order it from Stewmac (because I'm ordering some fretting tools and other stuff, so I'll combine shipping and save a few bucks that way). I'd only buy one size though.

On the other hand, the initial outlay for the microplane is less--Hartley sells a kit with two sizes and the follower kit for $27 --but they don't ship internationally, don't sell the other tools I want, so I'll end up paying twice for shipping. And the replacement blades are pretty expensive too (and I've read they wear out pretty quickly?). So in the end, it'll be more expensive than the robo-sander.

The microplane doesn't make dust they say, but I wear a respirator whenever I work anyway, and I can make as much dust as I want in my workspace.

So what about in terms of performance?

And mostly, how necessary/helpful do you feel this kind of tool is?

I recently bought the microplane patern "sander". Frankly $14 doesn't seem like a high price to me, but understand if it is for others.

My impression is that it is a very useful tool, but it has a learning curve. It is VERY aggressive compared to a Robo-sander. It bucks and jumps a lot if you don't control the pressure right. I think Microplane should have done a less aggresive "grit". On the other hand, if you apply pressure right, it hogs through wood 5X as fast as a robosander and leaves a great polished edge. Too much pressure and you "dull" it by pressing the cutting edges in. When you get it right, it cuts like a hot knife through butter. Well worth it for the price. I look forward to getting the right feel. When I do, I know I am going to love this tool.