Wezv's 2nd Bass (#19 Overall)

Heres a bass body i am having sprayed at the moment, the finish has kind of evolved as we have gone along. It was going to be all rover british racing green but we had some compatability issues with the clear lacquer and it bubbled up on the back. Rather than struggling with matching colours or a whole new respray my cousin/guitar finisher decided to spray the back a different colour and add a go faster stripe around the edge. I am quite happy with the way its going and much prefer it now, most of my stuff is natural wood finish so metallics are a bit of a departure.

Picture_040.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/Picture_049.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/Picture_039.jpg

Here are the specs for the finished bass:

Ash body (not swamp)

Zebrano neck

Rosewood fretboard

Black hardware

35" scale length

Dimarzio J pickups

Vol,Vol,Tone.

Wow! that finish looks great!

I like those two colours together and the stripe.

Yeah i am pretty happy with it now, the two-tone finish actually makes the bass look a lot slinkier than it looked when it was one colour.

The neck will be Zebrano finished with danish oil and bri-wax ala Melvyn Hiscock. Its a really stripy peice of zebrano so i will try and get some pictures of that at some point as well. I have done a few zebrano necks on guitars and i really like the way it feels with an oil and wax finish.

The bass is also having a rather large scratchplate on the front, it was going to be black with black pickups but i am open to suggestions as to what would be a better colour match with the green and grey. I am having a scratchplate because i left two rather large pickup holes on the front of the guitar. I havnt built many basses so i wanted to be able to experiment on this one if i get chance. The idea is that the routes should fit most pickups and i can quickly make a new scratchplate in a few minutes and swap stuff about as i see fit. The reality is that it will probably stay with its original pickups when i am finished with it because there just aint enough hours in the day.

If it were me I'd go with black and black, like you said... or maybe black and chrome. Depends on how the gray looks in real life though, the chrome might make it look duller in comparison.

I look forward to seeing the finished bass!

Is there any way you could paint the pickguard the same grey as the back? It seems like that'd tie the whole thing together better than slapping on a pickguard that doesn't match the rest of the body, and it'd be a lot less trouble than trying to match the color of the front.

Aside from that, I'd go with a nice glossy black pickguard.

Is there any way you could paint the pickguard the same grey as the back? It seems like that'd tie the whole thing together better than slapping on a pickguard that doesn't match the rest of the body, and it'd be a lot less trouble than trying to match the color of the front.

Aside from that, I'd go with a nice glossy black pickguard.

I have thought about that, or spraying the pickup covers grey, but these are high wear areas and the lacquer wouldnt stick to plastic very well...................... Actually you have just given me an idea, i could get some clear scratchplate material and get the reverse sprayed gray, that should protect it from scratches.

I have a black one ready for it so i will probably try that first...............ouch!! another idea just hit me. Anodised aluminium for the scratchplate, tends to be a bit pale though.

or black pearloid, bit flashy for my tastes though

Edited by WezV

Might as well post another guitar in this discussion as well.

This is a semi hollow twleve string, kind of the bastard offspring between a thinline tele and a 335

10_04_06_17200.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/10_04_06_1728.jpg

The wood isnt wetted with anything in that link, i havnt even sanded the belt sander marks off it yet

It started out being built thinline tele style, i.e. hollowed out body blank with a top attached, but i was having problems with the cherry body blank and decided to do it more gibson style, i.e. rims with top and back plate attached.

Because of my indecision it has a cherry rim with quilted maple top, bocote back and black limba neck. Since non of the wood matches i will probably have it all sprayed black with a black burst on the front.

I still have to carve the plates which isnt something i have done much off.

The headstock is rickenbacker style with 6 tuners mounted normally and 6 mounted classical style.

Actually you have just given me an idea, i could get some clear scratchplate material and get the reverse sprayed gray, that should protect it from scratches.

I like that idea!

I'm very much liking the semi hollow one too!

• 2 weeks later...

Any progress on either of these?

The finish on the bass bubbled so is being re-done :D .

The twelve string just needs a lot of sanding to even everything out, i have put it aside for a while because i dont want to rush the final stages.

I have started a LP Jnr to occupy my mind for a week or two. Just felt i needed to knock out a really quick, easy guitar. I only started on thursday and its already half done!!

I look forward to when theyre finished.

Please post pics of your LPJR when its done too!

I'm thinking of using all the scrap bits I have around to make a super cheap flying V when I get the time too.

Heres the LP Jnr as it stands now. Its ash with a wenge neck and fretboard. I am going to use a hipshot hardtail bridge instead of the usual stop tail and it will have a bare knuckle P-92 i think. I am also going to start a thru neck flying v in th next couple of weeks, after the LP and 12 are out the way.

reduced.jpg

Also looking good!

You'd better reduce your photo size though, i think the rule is 640x480 max.

I love flying V's.. I want to see that too when you start building it :D

Your taking on lots of projects in a short space of time!

What finish will the LPJR have?

Picture fixed! Sorry Mods i forgot. :D

I am currently thinking the finish will be a somewhere between a TV yellow and a blonde/butterscotch. Black scratchplate, black P-90. I might use a darker grainfill first though, not sure yet. Natural neck, probably just a bit of wax on that, i dont think wenge needs much.

The thru-neck V will be African walnut with neck lams going American walnut/wenge/maple/wenge/american walnut and i may also put another strip of maple between the neck section and the body wings. It may have a floyd rose on it but i havnt really decided on that yet.

I try to have at least two guitars on the go so that there is always something else to turn to but i have a bit of a backlog forming at the moment because the bass is taking so long to get right. Dont try to do this till you have built a few though. I am mainly doing it because i have quite a bit of interest building at the moment and its good to keep that watered, so to speak

Both sound great to me, especially the flying V.

I personally find floyd roses annoying though... makes down-tuning to drop D harder, you need to use alan key when you want to tune or restring, and it may just be coincidence, but every floyd rose equipped guitar I've played just sounds sort-of sterile ... but of course I'll never play the guitar so who cares what my opinion on floyd roses is! :D

Good luck with the finish on the bass!

Edited by Ben

I completely agree about the floyd rose thing, but none of my guitars so far have had any trem systems on them (other than a bigsby which is so easy to fit it doesnt count) so i want to get a bit of experience at fitting one. But the V looks like its gonna be pretty nice and potentially sound great so the more i think about it the less i want to put a floyd rose on it. Problem is that leaves me in the same position i am in now of telling people that "i could do it one but havnt yet!" and thats never very reassuring. I may have somebody lined up who wants a floyd adding to his cheap V copy so that could be my practice i suppose.

• 2 weeks later...

This finish on the bass kept bubbling so we abandoned it, its been stripped right back and shellaced to seal against any possible contamination. The bass will now be sprayed pearlesant blue. We were gonna avoid mettalics but got drawn in by a pretty colour :D

Picture_1_039.jpg

Looks nice in just ash eh! heres another pic (ignore the cavity on back, it was a lazy day):

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/Picture_1_035.jpg

I also have the first few coats of colour on the LP Jnr, not every body likes it but i think it will work ok when all the hardware and scrathplate is on. I wasnt expecting the lacquer i mixed to be this translucent but i like it.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/Picture_1_037.jpg

Edited by Maiden69

Shame about the old finish, but such is life :D

I'm sure the blue will look equally great.

I like the LPJR too. You said you were aiming for "somewhere between a TV yellow and a blonde/butterscotch" and thats exactly how it looks to me.

It's my birthday in a few months and I haven't got a flying V.......HINT HINT.

Looking really good mate, you've obviously got a breal tallent there. Not had chance to go up to Ibstock yet, I was going to call in on the way to Buxton this weekend, but it's cup final day so all plans have been canceled :D (except for drinking beer and watching football).

How much would you be looking to part with a bass like that (minus all the electrics and hardware). My bro might be interested :D

It's my birthday in a few months and I haven't got a flying V.......HINT HINT.

Looking really good mate, you've obviously got a breal tallent there. Not had chance to go up to Ibstock yet, I was going to call in on the way to Buxton this weekend, but it's cup final day so all plans have been canceled :D (except for drinking beer and watching football).

How much would you be looking to part with a bass like that (minus all the electrics and hardware). My bro might be interested :D

I keep changing my mind about making a Vee. The guitar workshop in ibstock sold my guitar at the london guitar show last weekend, they have requested 3 more for the next guitar show they are doing in november so i was gonna use the Vee wood i have to make something more original for that.

I already have all the hardware and parts for the bass so please let me use them B) I havnt committed to a price yet but since it was all an experiment and practice i was thinking sub £500 for the completed thing, and i do want to complete it myself because its only the second bass i have done and i need the practice. It would be more if i didnt already have the parts on hand gathering dust. The pickups are a dimarzio J-bass set, it was gonna have a black scrathplate but that might change now the colour of the body has

I like the LPJR too. You said you were aiming for "somewhere between a TV yellow and a blonde/butterscotch" and thats exactly how it looks to me.

I will probably be playing with the colour, its a bit too translucent and slightly to green. I was expecting a more solid colour so put a little less effort into sanding the edges and thats now come back to bite me. It may end up sunburst with white scratchplate, will have to see how the mood takes me.

the LP jnr now has a non-traditional sunburst, made it a bit more green but i am quite happy with the colour now!

Picture_1_065.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/Picture_1_066.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/Picture_1_063.jpg

Heres the blue we are trying on the bass as well

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/Picture_1_077.jpg

thats the sex!

that reminds me of the german machines....basslab

www.basslab.de

thats a nice looking bass...wait a min...is that.....a bubble :O

just kiddin,boy wuld i have loved to see that face :D

is the neck going to be the ame colour?and heres a crazi idea,that colour would look amazing on the fretboard aswell...or am i just crazy