Strange Fret Buzz.

Yesterday I took the bridge off my Epi. Les Paul so I could fix the mounting ring on my bridge pup. I put a piece of tape around the nut so the strings wont go all nuts when I took the bridge off. After I put the bridge back on, I noticed my intonation was all screwed, so I intonated. Now my g string randomly buzzes. The action is pretty high, and its the only string that buzzes, and it never did that before. I restrung it, re tuned it, re-intonated it, everything. It still buzzes. Could it be the cheapo Tune-o-matic that Epi. puts on their LPs or is it something else, like the nut. I already adjusted the truss rod, re set up everything, still buzzes. Any ideas?

It could definitely be the nut causing your problem, but you didn't mess the slotting did you? Try capoing the first fret, is there still a buzz? If so, it's not the nut. The tape you used could be causing residue to stick to the string at the nut? It could be anything. You need to locate the buzz first though. If the nut isn't slotted properly, then you can get some buzz at the nut.

It could definitely be the nut causing your problem, but you didn't mess the slotting did you? Try capoing the first fret, is there still a buzz? If so, it's not the nut. The tape you used could be causing residue to stick to the string at the nut? It could be anything. You need to locate the buzz first though. If the nut isn't slotted properly, then you can get some buzz at the nut.

I completely restrung the g-string, so I dont think there is anything in the slot. I dont have a capo, so I cant try that. And for some reason, it mostly happens when I play powerchords, so I thought it was my finger position, but its never happened before. Its definately hitting a fret, and I even raised the action to a level no player would dream of trying to play with, and no luck.

I completely restrung the g-string, so I dont think there is anything in the slot. I dont have a capo, so I cant try that. And for some reason, it mostly happens when I play powerchords, so I thought it was my finger position, but its never happened before. Its definately hitting a fret, and I even raised the action to a level no player would dream of trying to play with, and no luck.

You took all the strings off right? How long did you leave them off, because you might just need to let the neck readjust to the tension for a couple of days, and your buzz could go away. There might not be enough relief now, since I'm assuming you took all the tension off the guitar by taking the strings off for some time. Do you have a straightedge to check the relief? Sometimes when you string and restring you can introduce a kink in the string that will cause a buzz. I'd definitely put some new strings on it.

You took all the strings off right? How long did you leave them off, because you might just need to let the neck readjust to the tension for a couple of days, and your buzz could go away. There might not be enough relief now, since I'm assuming you took all the tension off the guitar by taking the strings off for some time. Do you have a straightedge to check the relief? Sometimes when you string and restring you can introduce a kink in the string that will cause a buzz. I'd definitely put some new strings on it.

Yeah, I snapped my high-E, so I replaced them all already. Luckily I had a few spare sets. Anyhow, I only had the strings off for maybe an hour, tops. I did check the relief, its exactly where it should. Thanks for the help so far.

Yesterday I took the bridge off my Epi. Les Paul so I could fix the mounting ring on my bridge pup. I put a piece of tape around the nut so the strings wont go all nuts when I took the bridge off. After I put the bridge back on, I noticed my intonation was all screwed, so I intonated. Now my g string randomly buzzes. The action is pretty high, and its the only string that buzzes, and it never did that before. I restrung it, re tuned it, re-intonated it, everything. It still buzzes. Could it be the cheapo Tune-o-matic that Epi. puts on their LPs or is it something else, like the nut. I already adjusted the truss rod, re set up everything, still buzzes. Any ideas?

I'm having trouble understanding what you did or why you did what you did...

What was wrong with the mounting ring, and why would you need to remove the bridge to fix it? Why not just loosen the strings, or remove the strings altogether?

Here's a silly question: are you sure you put the bridge back on properly? I mean, is it possible the bridge somehow got turned around? Hey, just checking....

I don't see why all of a sudden your intonation would be 'screwed'...although, yeah, it's possible that putting tape on the strings introduced a kink in them at the nut, which would give you a lot more problems, especially since it sounds like you replaced your strings anyway.

Another question: are you certain the buzz is coming from the fretboard? For example, maybe the mounting ring is buzzing, and only buzzes with certain notes from the g string...you never know...

Another question: are you certain the buzz is coming from the fretboard? For example, maybe the mounting ring is buzzing, and only buzzes with certain notes from the g string...you never know...

Exactly my thought. I can give an example. Right now I have a Tele in that were buzzing on the A-string, on ALL frets. The problem was the height adjusting screws in the saddle. It is the modern type (two screws) barrel type saddles. One screw was loose and buzzing. And because the saddle was supported by the D-string saddle it didn’t had enough room to tilt and get enough pressure on it to stop the buzzing.

If you have buzzing on all or most frets you have to start looking for other things that might buzz. Especially if you have raised the strings as high as you say you have.