How Do U Ream Tun,er Holes?

Thanks god for Dremel tools!! Carefully with a small sanding drum (I use a 1/4" or 5/16") go around the inside edge to take some of it off. Then use the drill bit to finish it off. I used to use a reamer, but the Dremel trick doesn't chip at all.

-Doug

I ream the holes with a, uh, reamer. No problems with chipping.

I'm not sure I understand...if he's just completed the finish, it should still be fairly soft-- he should be able to push the tuners through anyway, right?

Depends on what kind of finish it is. If you do install the tuners before the finish cures, if you leave them on, you could have major problems if you ever need to remove them, and most definitely pull up the paint. All the advice above works great to solve this problem.

Depends on what kind of finish it is. If you do install the tuners before the finish cures, if you leave them on, you could have major problems if you ever need to remove them, and most definitely pull up the paint. All the advice above works great to solve this problem.

What I did was check the fit of the tuners--they were definitely more snug--then pull them out again while the finish cured. When I installed the tuners for real (a month later), they fit perfectly. I wasn't sure if his finish was already cured or not, it didn't sound like it.

...if he's just completed the finish, it should still be fairly soft-- he should be able to push the tuners through anyway, right?

Why take the chance? Generally speaking, the right tool for the job is best.

-Doug

Great input folks- I knew that Dremel was sitting there for a reason:)

Went with Varithane for this project and will give a full report when finshed- But I've been doing 25 other things (gigs are usually good, but:) so it's getting rock hard and by teh time I buff it out, I expect to be blinding folks in surrounding counties.

Thanks again!

Michael

...if he's just completed the finish, it should still be fairly soft-- he should be able to push the tuners through anyway, right?

Why take the chance? Generally speaking, the right tool for the job is best.

-Doug