Floyd Rose Nut?

Be warned that with Floyd nuts there is always a compromise with how perfect the string action height is at the nut. Those metal locking nuts never have a dead perfect string radius. There will always be at least one string slot that's a little too high or low. Not enough to bother every player out there, but it bugs me enough that I can honestly say I hate floyd nuts.

A standard nut, even with locking tuners, would ruin the whole purpose of the Floyd Rose, in which case you'd be just as well off with a Wilkinson or similar bridge instead.

I'm not a Floyd guy, and I've never installed one, so I can't provide any specific information, but most people will just use the nut its intended way-- as the nut. I can't see any good reason you couldn't use it with a zero fret instead, though, especially if you need a radius other than the Floyd nut's radius.

Greg

A standard nut, even with locking tuners, would ruin the whole purpose of the Floyd Rose, in which case you'd be just as well off with a Wilkinson or similar bridge instead.

+1. The Floyd Rose is a system. While you can get reasonably close with a well made nut and some locking tuners, a Floyd is designed to have the "double lock" ensuring you can do silly little backflips on your whammy and not go out of tune.

Do you you guys use the floyd rose nut or do you prefeer a standard nut when using a floyd rose tremelo? if you do use the floyd rose do you cut out behind the zero fret spot to mount it ?

I agree with those who stated that using a standard nut, as opposed to the Floyd nut, defeats the purpose. Just mounted a Floyd nut, and yes, you have to route out the area where the normal nut usually resides. As a general rule: Take a flat edge across the first 2 frets, and measure that height. Now, add between .005-.010 to your measurement. That is the approximate height at which you want the bottom of the Floyd nut grooves to sit, in relation to the fretboard (Anything lower, and you'll fret out, and buzz / Anything higher, and action can suffer, making playing stiff). It is not unusual to go TOO deep, and have to shim out the locking nut. Sandpaper makes a good shim for this. In MY case, the fret height was .045", so I routed until the grooves were roughly .055" above the fretboard. Once I get the project guitar together, if the action is too HIGH, I can always remove the nut, and sand down the ledge, a little, inching closer to optimum height, for me.

What about putting the locking nut {Behind} the standard nut? that way it still locks and locking tuners are not an issue.

I know they do it with Kahlers but I'm not sure if it can be done with a floyd.

Hopefully this works as I've got a Kahler trem unit for my project because if it's good enough for Slayer...... In my ordering haste I didn't realise the string lock didn't have a nut, doh! I thought it was like a Floyd locknut, so now I have a graphite nut, and then the string lock will sit behind that. Not convinced it's the best way to go but hey, as long as the thing plays at all I'll be happy :D

The Jeff Hanneman ESP here looks like it has a Kahler + Floyd-Rose type locknut Jeff Hanneman Signature

If it's a kahler-type nut, and not a floyd-type, you should be fine, putting behind the regular nut. If it was a Floyd-type, you could have issues with it and the regular nut. I had Charvels, with Kahlers, and behind the nut locks, and they all stayed in tune, nicely. Lest we forget the band, and my namesake, Racer X. Their guitars were Kahler-equipped, and they wanked on the bars all night, just fine.

+1. You could probably make it work, but you would have to make sure that the Floyd nut didn't screw up the strings breaking over the standard nut in the right place. You could create a nasty buzz and assorted other tuning problems really fast that way. The Floyd nut would probably have to be mounted a bit lower. But I don't know why anyone would bother, when it is more work to create and more problem-prone.

I'd be willing to bet that if you even were successful in mounting a FLoyd nut behind a standard nut, after you do a dive, there's a chance that the strings are gonna pop out of the standard nut's slots. If it doesn't do that, there's still the issue of the area between the two, and the possible slack created, after diving. Do yourself a favor, and do it right. Don't shortcut, or you'll most likely regret it.