How Does Fender Make The 'no Fretboard' Neck?

Hi, my friend has a really nice strat with a maple neck. I know NOTHING about Fender, and I was wondering how they made the necks that are all one piece (looks as though theres no fretboard but just frets on the neck). Do they just simply put a veneer over top or do they take the neck blank to a table saw, rout for the truss rod then glue it back on?

Thanks

But the skunk stripe doesnt reach all the way from the head to the heel..? Does it?

So how do they put it in..?

Don't quote me on this, but have you noticed that the headstocks on fenders are flat? I think they must slide them down Through the headstock and they have the skunk stripe so they can actually get inside the neck and cut out the cavity and for seating purposes.

Somebody correct me if that was wrong because I just tried to figure it out best I could.

Edited by Firefox2551

Slot is routed in the back as you see it. Then a hole is drilled in from the headstock step (or the butt) that connects to the slot. Truss rod in then inserted into the back and through the hole until it nests flush in the slot. Then the walnut plug is glued in.

Edited by Southpa

They're not ALWAYS walnut... some old Fender guitars had Koa stripes :D.

Litch's tutorial was idiotic. It would be very, very hard to do without ruining a neck. His tutorial was on adding a skunk stripe to an already made neck that already had a trussrod in it by routing a channel in the curved back of the neck (hopefully without cutting through the trussrod) and then gluing in the strip. DON'T DO IT!

Edited by jnewman

why buy a book when i have atleast 100 very knowledgable luthiers on here? :D i appreciate your time and effort, thanks

Because it's a coherent, structured narrative, well-illustrated, well-written, and will save many of those 100 the hassle of answering a number of questions that the book covers very well, often in great detail. It also provides a solid basis for understanding guitar making, and makes understanding the advice freely given a whole lot easier.

My 2 cents.

why buy a book when i have atleast 100 very knowledgable luthiers on here? B) i appreciate your time and effort, thanks

:D Hey, I have guitar building/repair info in printed form that's probably 2 feet thick when all stacked up. My scanner's making horrible squealing noises, so I guess I better start typing it all out here. :D

why buy a book when i have atleast 100 very knowledgable luthiers on here? :D i appreciate your time and effort, thanks

Because it's a coherent, structured narrative, well-illustrated, well-written, and will save many of those 100 the hassle of answering a number of questions that the book covers very well, often in great detail. It also provides a solid basis for understanding guitar making, and makes understanding the advice freely given a whole lot easier.

My 2 cents.

Well said. Maybe Hiscock should pay you to put it on the back cover! :D

why buy a book when i have atleast 100 very knowledgable luthiers on here? B) i appreciate your time and effort, thanks

My 2 cents.

Well said. Maybe Hiscock should pay you to put it on the back cover! :D

Hehehe....hey, methinks the fact he's written a book that helped me a ton, let me proof-read the second edition drafts and remind him to include at least one page, plus sent me a free copy of the second edition, is enough thanks :D

I think reading a book like Hiscock's helps because it makes you aware of things *before* they happen. If anything, having books like his and others has made me ask *more* questions, simply because it's brought things to my attention before they happen. (and of course, I always try and search for answers before asking - and most of them I find) The thing is, I'm now asking more of the *right* questions.

I try and think each step through before I do it, but if you haven't done something before you can't always think of all the things that might happen. Having a book in front of you that walks through things helps you realize what will occur and problems that might arise.

I came here with a plethora of fret questions during and after my first early jobs - and a lot of those could have been avoided. In the end, I ended up with a decent fret job, but it could have been better, and it could have gone much quicker. I ended up getting Stew Mac's fretting book, and after reading it thoroughly, I refretted that same guitar and got much better results, and my next refret was better than most any shop guitar I've played. Could I have gotten the same information from asking here? Yes, probably. But it would have taken much of my time and and everyone elses, (something I've already done enough of here with silly questions) especially since I wouldn't have known how to frame my question in a manner that makes the problem evident. People would have needed to tease the information out of me, and frankly I'm not sure I would have known how to give the information needed to answer the problem.

And it sucks when you ask a question, and it turns out the best answer is "don't do it that way next time", all because a minor detail didn't occur to you, or didn't seem to be important, and you're trying to figure out what's wrong when somethings not working, after the fact.

This might make me seem like a "web-nazi", but I would prefer a guitar building/repair forum, where in order to become a member, you have to already own some books on the subject. I think it would really help keep the redundant questions to a minimum, and help create more interesting and *new* questions.

Too much " Hi, I just took the training wheels off my bike and want to build a Jem copy now, please help me" going on.