Have A Listen

ultraman

Out of the 3 I like Taking Sides the most. It has that mix of 'soft' and 'loud' which I like in a song, and composition seems pretty good. I think Her tying my shoes lacks a bit of expression. All the repeated phrases sound EXACTLY the same, a little vibrato here and there might make it sound better (just my opinion, I use vibrato alot). Why aren't you smiling sounds good, but it sounds like the lyrics will be the focal point in that song as it's quite slow, almost 'ballad-like'.

Overall very good though, better than my song-writing attempts are going at the moment.

I agree with the others about "her tying my shoes". Boring, too repetitive. The guitar rhythm sounds to fizzy fuzzy and gets lost at times in the mix. The lead breaks... well, I can't tell if the guitar is off time or if it is the drummer but whatever it would be much better if it could be tightened up. Overall, sounds like a "backing track"... missing something.

"taking sides". It has more variety. Less of the fizzy fuzzy rhythm. You really should listen to those parts - pay attention to how the cleaner bass pops through the mix and the rhythm is too much strumming as if the fizzy sound is supposed to fill the holes. This would be like the section that starts 00:24. Reducing that drive control with less frantic strumming and more of a rhythmic pattern would help. The section that starts at 01:59 with the clean sound on the guitar shows how it can cut through better. Not filling the holes would make it more interesting.

"why aren't you smil...". This is the best of the bunch. Actually pretty good. Still a touch too much fuzz but it works better without the frantic strumming.

yeah i agree with you that the drumming sucks

i told my drummer to go to hell and I slapped him in the face last night.

nah just kidding, the drummer is a drum machine. :D

I like why arent you smiling the best out of the bunch too. In the beginning, it was just a filler but it actually turned out pretty nice. As for tying shoes, im gonna try and put a little more variety into it. Try and fill up those sort of awkward gaps in between strums. :D