Evh Music Man Project

Nice finish! :D Care to post your bursting technique? It looks a lot better than a lot of similar bursts I've seen, and if you managed that without an airbrush, it's doubly impressive-- perhaps even tutorial-worthy?

Anyway, the color choice is good, albeit a bit tobacco burst-ish (given that tiger eye was your goal), and the maple is really original and interesting. I like it a lot better, in fact, than the "perfect" parallel curls and quilts one sees. It really has a sense of original attitude, not unlike the playing of the guitar's namesake.

Anyway, I'd love to hear a sound clip. What kind of pickups?

Thanks. You're totally right on about using too much of the tobacco. I started with that Colortone stain color from Stewmac, then sanded back, used amber next, sanded back, then finally yellow. Lastly, I went back over the edges with more tobacco to get a burst effect.

My technique is to take a very damp rag, take the bottle of stain, do not dilute it, dab some drops right on the wet rag and start rubbing. I just work the wet rag around until I see the stain evening out, and if it looks like I need some more, I get a few more drops on the rag and go some more. When I'm done, I take another fresh wet rag and rub the whole top some more to wipe off any excess stain.

I let it dry, then sanded back, and I should have sanded more after using the brown, then applied the amber like above.

The yellow I only used in the middle areas. I also applied a little more yellow after the bursting effect around the edges to make sure I had a nice contrast of color.

I should also note that this pic was taken with the top freshly stained and just wet, no laquer had been applied yet. I am in the process of laquering it now.

The pickups are Duncan Designed HB103's which were modelled after the JB bridge and Jazz neck. I got them both for $30, so I'm trying them out, if they aren't up to my standards, I'll swap them for the US made originals. It's not done yet, so I can't comment on the sound. If it's too bright, I'll try 250K pots, then see how she is.

Lastly, I am going to use a white Tone knob for volume instead of the pictured chrome one keeping to the orignal EVH philosophly that your volume knob acts as your tone.

Very nice finnish .

Also what neck are you using??

Is the shape a bit blown out at the lower rear or is that the photo?

I agree with skibum that wood is much more interesting than the too purfect quilt that you see.

Thanks

Edited by thirdstone

Yeah, the shape is slightly off there, but for only hand tools and no template I did my best.

The neck I did not make. I haven't gone down that road yet. It's a Strat style countoured back. I did cut the headstock to look more like an original EVH though with the 4x2 look. I'll try to add more pics later when I get it all put together after letting the laquer cure for a few weeks.

Nice finish! :D Care to post your bursting technique? It looks a lot better than a lot of similar bursts I've seen, and if you managed that without an airbrush, it's doubly impressive-- perhaps even tutorial-worthy?

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=6194

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...nother+sunburst

Here are 2 tutorials on the subject

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=6194

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...nother+sunburst

Here are 2 tutorials on the subject

I researched Myka's threads on staining. He's really helped out a lot.

great finish i think it realy shows off the grain