Dye Preferences?

jay5

We have been doing some clean-up at work recently and my boss came across a bunch of different dyes that he had that we wouldnt be using anymore. He gave me about a dozen different powders, some of the Stewmac stuff, LMI stuff and some other brand (Woodcraft sells it, I forget the name). Anyway, I figured I would have a go practicing with them. My question is, as I recieved both water soluable stuff and alchohol soluable, which type do you all prefer? What do you like to mix the alchohol soluable dyes with? I realize that the water based dyes will rais the grain, but are there any other pros and cons you all have come across?

That's a good score! Those things are like $15 a bottle.

I've only used the alcohol soluble kind, so I can't really comment on the water soluble. I used denatured alcohol which worked great, but I think I saw on the Reranch site that lacquer thinner is OK as a solvent too. I also read somewhere that water-soluble is more resistant to fading. Don't know if it's true, but that's what I heard. Just my $.02.

We shoot poly at work, I'll have to find out exactly what (if anything) is compatable with that in terms of the alchohol based stuff. Drak, how much of any one color do you generally mix up at one time? I have about 10 lbs of figured maple scraps that I want to start destroying. I figure this stuff was cheap enough :D that I could use it to establish some good "formulas" and work from there.

Toddler, I scored this a week ago :D

100_0422.jpg

Yeah, the bandsaw was also free. I asked if they would sell it but they told me to just take it. I just got some new blades, cleaned it up and it runs great. I am building a new table for it and it should be all I need for my home shop. I also scored a big ass piece of aluminum with a 12" radius milled in it for radiusing fingerboards. Nice and heavy and about 24" long, pretty sweet. I work at a small guitar manufactrer here in NC.