3 Way + Blend Pot

Lee_

JoeAArthur: :D why not use a 4 pole 5 way and and two more pickup combinations!

Lee: I think you might be able to get away with using a 2 pole 3 way connected like this:

3wayblend1ez.jpg

I just used any old colour to make it clear which wire was which. :D and yes the potentiometer is VERY out of scale!

Robert

Edited by Robert_the_damned

JoeAArthur: B) why not use a 4 pole 5 way and and two more pickup combinations!

Well Robert... believe it or not, some parts of the world just don't revolve around quantity of pickup combinations. :D

Two single coils can only result in 4 distinct sounds based on pickup combinations. Sure, I could come up with something for the fifth position of a five-way, but it would be a compromise on what I want to achieve..

Right now I am using the 3-way "pickup selector" as a "mode switch". Forward or neck position does switch in the neck pickup as "primary"... but it also uses the tone control (counterclockwise) to cut treble as expected, but moving it clockwise also blends in a little of the bridge pickup (with a slight bass cut due to the tone capacitor) in parallel.

In the middle or both position, the tone control blends the neck and bridge pickup together in parallel fully counterclockwise and in series fully clockwise. No treble cut tone control action here. One position of a 3-way to do the same as two positions of a 4-way (and more due to the blending).

The back or bridge position I want the bridge pickup wide open. As it is now I only have the bridge pickup selected... no tone control, but I would really like to bypass the volume control as well... and that is where two additional poles would really come in handy!! :D

Take care,

Well Robert... believe it or not, some parts of the world just don't revolve around quantity of pickup combinations.

:D surely the more bizare pickup combinations you can get into the guitar the better it sounds? :D

Two single coils can only result in 4 distinct sounds based on pickup combinations. Sure, I could come up with something for the fifth position of a five-way, but it would be a compromise on what I want to achieve..

I can understand that not wanting the extra positions....I'm wondering if it would be possible to convert a 5 way so it only stops in 3 places by mechanically blocking those two positions and then you could just use the common and 3 of the other lugs per pole.

Right now I am using the 3-way "pickup selector" as a "mode switch". Forward or neck position does switch in the neck pickup as "primary"... but it also uses the tone control (counterclockwise) to cut treble as expected, but moving it clockwise also blends in a little of the bridge pickup (with a slight bass cut due to the tone capacitor) in parallel.

that's quite a cool idea bet you can get some really nice funky telecaster type sounds

In the middle or both position, the tone control blends the neck and bridge pickup together in parallel fully counterclockwise and in series fully clockwise. No treble cut tone control action here. One position of a 3-way to do the same as two positions of a 4-way (and more due to the blending).

yeah I can see that being cool too

The back or bridge position I want the bridge pickup wide open. As it is now I only have the bridge pickup selected... no tone control, but I would really like to bypass the volume control as well... and that is where two additional poles would really come in handy!!

yeah I bet they would! you could even disconnect the tone cap so your blend control would work as normal

Edited by Robert_the_damned