Transferring An Image Onto Wood

i just wanted to run something past you guys before i go killing my baby :D

is it feasible to use laser printer transfer paper [press n peel blue] to transfer an image onto unfinished wood?

this would require using a hot iron, would you expect this to damage the wood in any way?

stupid question, i know...but hey ho.

Cheers,

Dan.

Is your decal iron on or rub on? If you're worried about the heat, go with a rub on decal. you can buy laser printable rub on decal paper. You have to make sure the surface is smooth. I would even apply the decal between clear coats. (1 or 2 coats - wetsand to 600grt - apply decal - finish clear coating)

i just wanted to run something past you guys before i go killing my baby :D

is it feasible to use laser printer transfer paper [press n peel blue] to transfer an image onto unfinished wood?

this would require using a hot iron, would you expect this to damage the wood in any way?

stupid question, i know...but hey ho.

Cheers,

Dan.

I have used the laser printer transfer method several times to create cut lines and centerlines with CAD precision. This is all stuff I later sand away, so I don't know about permanent graphics.

The paper protects the wood from scorching. You would have to be REALLY careless and allow the iron to burn through the paper to scorch the wood. In any case, the image transfers at tempretures way less than scorching. The iron does have to be hot, though. First time I tried I kept the iron at its lowest setting and just could not get a good transfer.

forgot to update you guys, i doubt its going to be permanent, but i dont really mind - its a welcome new thing to my beat up guitar that has been lovlingly named ''the bible guitar''

http://www.thehappytent.com/guitrev.jpg

i'll be honest, im not too sure of how permanent it will be.

considering i was told absolutely ages ago that the top would wear off - as it was all done with a non permanent pen - thats not covered.

however, it looks pretty for the time being, so im not too fussed :D