Using A Liquid Metal To Make Inlay

k well i went upon making an inlay without a dremel or anything power for that matter, chiseled it out completely by hand with a 1/4" chisel. i found a tutorial on project guitar that sed some guy used solder for his inlay...but solder doesnt adhere to wood to well..so *** lol

do you guys have any simple suggestions b4 i go spend 200 bux on a dremel and all the fix'ns? :D

I suggest you don't do that at all, because it's not going to be very reliable. The solder's not going to stick to the wood. Infact, depending on what wood you use, you might even burn the wood. If you're going for a metal look, the best thing I could think of would be to cut out your inlay out of metal stock with a jeweler's blade, then epoxy it in, or try something like Inlace(clicky).

peace,

russ

So silver wont dry too quickly?

and yes, that guy is either leaving out something crucial, like type of solder, or hes just an idiot and assumed that solder sticks to stuff like bolts, and other things like his face, so he might have thought that it worked with wood.

ill get some pics of my guitar up once its finished, its my first project, and i definitely think its beautiful lol.

thanks for your help guys, your more help than that other retard :D

oh wow..i was in another topic b4 i replied to this one.

someone in another topic (that i didnt start btw lol) suggested using square silver wire and melting it into the cavity. i dunno what i was thinkin.

do you think that would work tho?

if not i guess im stuck w/ buying a chunk of silver or somethinglol

do you know people sell in sheets other than online? if not what would you suggest thats simple to cut

Guys, you're not thinking creatively...

Use the fact that solder does not stick to wood to your advantage ---

Step 1: Carve/chisel/route your pattern into a piece of SCRAP wood.

Step 2: Pour/apply your solder into the pattern.

Step 3. Remove inlay and glue/epoxy the inlay into the route you've made to your headstock.

Why wouldn't that work?

Won't the solder discolour in a relatively short period of time if it's being manipulated? You'd have to be tricky and put an extra layer of "something" over the solder to avoid sweat-on-solder contact, I'd think.

A question on the side: why epoxy? I would've thought CA would do the trick. That's what I've used on the few small things I've done.

Solder's not that pretty, sheet metals (silver) aren't hard to work at all, look much nicer than melted solder, and if you're doing lines, solid silver wire's easy enough to find and work with.

Silver will discoulour/tarnish when unfinished, but in a generally pleasant way, and polishing it if necessary shouldn't take long at all. I suppose you could use sterling, but the colour/richness of silver is pretty unique. Inspired by Perry's first guitar's vine inlay, I decided to go with silver wire as vine inlay material on the Red Nekkid Laydee inlay guitar I entered in the GOTM a few months back, and it worked wonderfully. I'll be doing a barbed wire inlay in pure silver wire in the relatively near future.

A question on the side: why epoxy? I would've thought CA would do the trick.

Just covering all the bases. I usually file CA under 'glue' ... :D

As for choice of materials, yeah, I'd think there are prettier materials to work with, although if you like that dull pewter look, then solder is perfect for that.

Still, doesn't it make more sense to shape the inlay first --preparing a mold for it with scrap wood or some other material?

I get the idea that there are all kinds of things one could do with this idea...like you could mix up a batch of CA and, say... glitter? That could look very cool...

I'm actually looking at going in the opposite direction --I want to get a woodburning kit and try 'branding' my guitar.

Solder will not stick on its own. It's just that simple. Homedepot sells sheet metal. However, I think that sheet metal will also rust quickly and look bad. It won't be easy to level the fretboard with the metal inlays in, and since sheet metal is so thin, you might even sand through your inlays.

sterling silver doesnt rust i know that. i could prolly just go buy a cheap sterling silver ring and file the **** outta it so i have the filings and use that lol.

as for kids peeing on sheet metal....i dont have kids, im 15 :D ive done quite a bit of research on building guitars n such, so im pretty damn confident with my project. however, im sure i could have one of my neices pee on it, or whipe one of their diapers all over it b4 i put it in...but i would like the inlay to somewhat match my hardware lol

so if im using filings and epoxy, should i just mix the 2 parts together along with the filings and fill it? i dont really have much experience w/ it, all i know is that it needs to be kept separate until you use it. if im wrongly mistaken, let me know. im thinkin about goin n buyin a few cheap sterling rings right now lol. :D

this is also a first time inlay as you can tell lol. i dont have anything to inlay **** w/ other than a chisel and some xacto knives. so if you could correct me if im wrong as far as the filings and epoxy go, maybe guide me through it, i would be more than thankful.

sterling silver doesnt rust i know that. i could prolly just go buy a cheap sterling silver ring and file the **** outta it so i have the filings and use that lol.

as for kids peeing on sheet metal....i dont have kids, im 15 :D ive done quite a bit of research on building guitars n such, so im pretty damn confident with my project. however, im sure i could have one of my neices pee on it, or whipe one of their diapers all over it b4 i put it in...but i would like the inlay to somewhat match my hardware lol

so if im using filings and epoxy, should i just mix the 2 parts together along with the filings and fill it? i dont really have much experience w/ it, all i know is that it needs to be kept separate until you use it. if im wrongly mistaken, let me know. im thinkin about goin n buyin a few cheap sterling rings right now lol. :D

this is also a first time inlay as you can tell lol. i dont have anything to inlay **** w/ other than a chisel and some xacto knives. so if you could correct me if im wrong as far as the filings and epoxy go, maybe guide me through it, i would be more than thankful.

If you're going with the dust/epoxy method. You might as well just save yourself the effort of filing and go with the Inlace material I recomnded earlier.

none of them look right...they all look off..except becca? i dunno *** becca is, so id just rather play it safe and save the money. i went out n bought a stainless steel bolt that i can file away at when i got some spare time (which i got a lot of)

so do i just mix both parts of the epoxy and the filings together and fill it? or do i fill it w/ epoxy then springle the dust over it?

:D