Best Floyd Style Trem?

Hey all, I'm just picking out parts for my next guitar and I would like to hear everyones opinion on the Floyd rose style trems.

I kinda like the liscensed schaller one because of the low profile but my primary concerns are price, longevity (IE knives that don't quit) and how well the trem stays in tune. Cosmetics on a gigantic pie of twisted metal are somewhat of a forgone conclusion.

Now if I can find a good balance between those 3 factors I believe that would be the best trem for me, I would go Kahler if I had one to try and they weren't so darn expensive.

Also, whats even the difference between all the Ibanez trems?

Lo-pro this edge that edge pro edge pro 1 2 what does that all have to really do with the trem? Are they better than The regular liscenced Floyds or OFRs?

Thanks guys, hope I don't start an opinion war here...

Hey all, I'm just picking out parts for my next guitar and I would like to hear everyones opinion on the Floyd rose style trems.

I kinda like the liscensed schaller one because of the low profile but my primary concerns are price, longevity (IE knives that don't quit) and how well the trem stays in tune. Cosmetics on a gigantic pie of twisted metal are somewhat of a forgone conclusion.

Now if I can find a good balance between those 3 factors I believe that would be the best trem for me, I would go Kahler if I had one to try and they weren't so darn expensive.

Also, whats even the difference between all the Ibanez trems?

Lo-pro this edge that edge pro edge pro 1 2 what does that all have to really do with the trem? Are they better than The regular liscenced Floyds or OFRs?

Thanks guys, hope I don't start an opinion war here...

The Ibanez Edge family of trems are all very good trems and are my personal favorite because they have a little more mass than the Floyds, feel smoother and the finish is nicer. They're radiused to 16" which makes a huge difference in action compared to a flat Floyd (like the early 80's Floyds). Also, the edge can be recessed (HS block). The trem bar design is excellent and the entire thing is extermely durable.

The edge is also very stable (more than any other floating trem IMO), especially if you get the locking studs. :D

The only Floyd I would buy would be the Schaller or the Real deal. Some of the things to whatch out for are the block length (will it be recessed or not), the radius (will you have to radius the trem to your fretboard) and the type of trem bar you prefer (screw in vs push in).

:D

Edited by guitar2005

Ok I did some price lookin'

Warmoth is the lowest I've found the OFR's and Schallers So far.

$170 in Chrome with locking nut for the OFR.

$155 for the Schaller Floyd in Chrome, also with locking nut.

OFR is Solid Hardened stainless throughout.

Schaller is mostly die-cast with hardened edge fulcrum points.

Can someone get me some real detailed info on The Floyds and Ibanez trems? Finding things like radius can be a pain.

The Ibanez Edge family of trems are all very good trems and are my personal favorite because they have a little more mass than the Floyds, feel smoother and the finish is nicer. They're radiused to 16" which makes a huge difference in action compared to a flat Floyd (like the early 80's Floyds). Also, the edge can be recessed (HS block). The trem bar design is excellent and the entire thing is extermely durable.

read your replies man.

Oops sorry there...

Kinda a hectic day, I muct have skimmed it when I read it. :D

hmmm, 16" is kinda flat even for me, I'll go do some testing at my store, that should mean all the Ibanez'a there with those tpye trems should be about 16" and any OFR's are 10".

I may end up going Schaller here...

Oops sorry there...

Kinda a hectic day, I muct have skimmed it when I read it. :D

hmmm, 16" is kinda flat even for me, I'll go do some testing at my store, that should mean all the Ibanez'a there with those tpye trems should be about 16" and any OFR's are 10".

I may end up going Schaller here...

I like 16" but also like 12" (like my strat and V). The Satriani Ibanez came with a 12" radius edge ... I think.

I like 16" but also like 12" (like my strat and V). The Satriani Ibanez came with a 12" radius edge ... I think.

You're close - the satch fingerboard radius is 240mm - about 9.5 inches. I assume the bridge is set to match. Note the shims under the saddle pieces on the bridge.

Yup, the Edge Bridge is set to match the satriani neck radius on Satrinani models.

Other than that, the "default", non shimmed radius is 16"