Exotic Guitar Tops ?

Hey guys ,

where to get these ??

damn, I can't find a place.. they only always have maple and usual woods like this.. lmii doesn't have much stuff..warmoth doesn't sell them separately...ebay contains mostly narrow planks..

any places with huge selections, that can cover a whole body ??

thanks !

Edited by sekler

We sell caps separately, joined, glued and ready to apply to the body wood. What are you looking for?

Go to Grizzly.com they have some awsome bilts you can split and bookmatch for a realy nice top. They have curly maple and quilted maple in different grades of wood. They also have alot of other guitar parts and supplies to offer. So check it out....

You can request a free color catalog from them as well.. :D

Good luck! :D

Mike

Bob Cefalu (http://www.rctonewoods.rcefaluguitars.com/index.html) often has more 'unusual' woods if you want something other than maple (say, cocobolo, quilt sapele, flamed purpleheart). Mostly sells acoustic stuff, but has quite a stash of interesting woods that aren't on the site. Shoot him an email with requests/questions about what kind of useful stuff he might have in stock. Tell him I sent ya.

Gilmer Woods has a bunch of exotics in various sizes, many suitable for resawing.

It would help if you defined what you meant by 'exotic', though; what exactly are you looking for?

• 1 month later...

anyone knows where I could get tops like chechen, walnut, goncalo alves and hedua (ovankol) ?

Really need to be a little more specific. Drop tops-!/4" or so, Carved tops- 1/2", 3/4", 1"? Goncalo Alves and Walnut are pretty common. Chechen is a little harder to get in top widths, Hedua? On the You also need to describe what how figured (and on Walnut what type- Claro, Black, English). Some woods are not as commonly used, and those woods will not be carried by all the dealers. You will be able to find just about anything.

Peace,Rich

He means Shedua. Amazaque, Ovangkol. Whatever. Same thing. Ghibourtia genus, same as Bubinga, just tesmanii instead of ehie. Or maybe the other way 'round. Something like that, anyway...

Ahhh. Shedua= Common.

Peace,Rich

Edit: I forgot to ask... Is there a particular figure you are looking for in the Chechen? I have seen some nice burls, but the majority I have run across is quite plane. I ask because I have heard Chechen brought up before but never seen it used. I am getting kinda curious. :D

That'd be Neal from S. Africa, and his boyz Mark & Jimmy. You know 'em.

I find an excuse to swing by every other week or so. But the parking lot on 270 kept me away today (2 hrs DC to Gaithersburg...ugh). I should be there tomorrow. There's some 13" wide black limba calling my name....if I can find the cash.

Hey, If you guys have access to some nice Black Limba. There are a few guys that have been asking me about BlackLimba (if you guys are watching this thread chime in). Maybe Erik or Drak would be willing to share the wealth/ split some boards. I have no good access short of Gilmer and that ain't who I buy mine from (last shipment was horded by a cabnet shop). As far as Shedua I think I have one or two top sets burried. I will see if I can dig up a pic or two(drop top thickness though, not sure if that is what you guys are after).

Peace,Rich

You know, I just got to thinnin'...Black Limba might just be a great matchup for the right spalted tops. :D

I'll stroll down there tomorrow in the Drakmobile and take a looksee and see what's up.

I don't even know if I like Limba yet.

What is the recommended length for body blank resale, 20"/ea. = 7 blanks/12' ?

Yeah, 12' will give 7 good blanks just under 20"....or maybe 6 if there's some end checking. Depends...if its all strats then maybe 6. If its all LPs then 7.

There are two planks, one perhaps just a hair under 13" wide and another close to 14" wide IIRC. Both are true 8/4 in the rough, and would easily finish at 1-3/4" or more. But I haven't examined the full length of the boards yet.

I'm a bit short on capital just now (something special coming from Oregon :D ), so folks would have to pre-pay for the blanks to fund the purchase of the full 12' billet. If there's enough interest and accrued cash, I can resaw, plane and ship from Chez Erik. I'd need probably 3 people to pony up in order to make it go.

Of course, if I go ahead with this, at least one will already be spoken for. :D

So.....anyone?

Anyone?

Buehler?

You know, I just got to thinnin'...Black Limba might just be a great matchup for the right spalted tops. :D

I'll stroll down there tomorrow in the Drakmobile and take a looksee and see what's up.

I don't even know if I like Limba yet.

What is the recommended length for body blank resale, 20"/ea. = 7 blanks/12' ?

20" will work for most. I try to keep them 22-24" if possible. I usually find you will wind up burning some part of the board so you just have to make a call and try to get the most and best you can out of the board. It is rare to get 100% use (losses are just part of why body blanks are more than Lumber). I know some guys may also be after neck stock (I like to pull necks from the same general stock if possible, same board or sequential boards is awsome-but not always practical(especially if you have one piece stock)).

On a side note: If you have yet to play with Black Limba. You are going to love the stability and way this stuff machines. I think it is a very fine wood. Spalt on Limba will be oustanding! It is such a great neutral, but interesting wood.

Peace,Rich