3 Pickups. Which Switch?

TheCross

hey.

I want to give my new guitar 3 pickups. a filterrton at the neck a SC in the middle and a p90 at the bridge. I've got a 3way toggle switch and a push/push pot laying around. I want to have a N;NM;NB;MB;B I could do that with a 5way switch, but I dislike doing quick changes with 5ways and the inner settings are especially hard to get quick.(I haven't yet had a guitar with a 5way... stop I did but I can't really remember if I could get tghe innter settings easily... )

My idea was simply using the 3way toggle for Neck, Neck-Bridge, Bridge and the pp to switch the middle pup in whenever needed(there are some PRS models that got it that way).

So what do you think? Which way should I go? Which way would you go and why? pros'n'cons? :D

I dislike doing quick changes with 5ways and the inner settings are especially hard to get quick.

IMO - a 5-way is very easy to operate, unless it's a cheap one with dodgy detents. Easier for sure than flipping a 3-way toggle plus operating a push-pull pot.

Ish...I like 3-way plus a push-push pot on the master volume. Tapping the pot is dead simple, and I can as fast as I need to be. The thing I don't like about 5-ways in strat-like locations is that I do tend to knock them more easily than I do 3-ways.

Hmm... I've never had a problem hitting my 5-way. Still, say if you want to switch quickly from playing rhythm in the 2-position (n+m) to playing lead on the bridge p/u, you have to flip the 3-way plus operate the push/pull pot. Sounds like one operation more than is really necessary, all while you're simultaneously mashing a stompbox/midi pedal and trying to remember what key you're in. :D

But to each his own, it's a player preference thing. :D

Hmm... I've never had a problem hitting my 5-way. Still, say if you want to switch quickly from playing rhythm in the 2-position (n+m) to playing lead on the bridge p/u, you have to flip the 3-way plus operate the push/pull pot. Sounds like one operation more than is really necessary, all while you're simultaneously mashing a stompbox/midi pedal and trying to remember what key you're in. :D

But to each his own, it's a player preference thing. :D

Well, yeah, pretty much. Thing is, I can actuate the push-push while I'm playing, 90% of the time. Or on the way back 'up' from flipping the 3-way. Then again, I only own one three-pickup guitar at the moment, so...