Repairing Dirty Pickup Surface

Hi folks!

I recently bought an Ibanez Universe off Ebay - It was in a good overall condition, but... the pickups look HORRIBLE! They're scratched really bad and the magnetic poles (sry i don't know what they're called in english) are rusted :D

Now my question - How do you think I can repair or refinish or call it whatever you want the caps and poles?? What about just spraying them? Or will this interfere with the performance of the PU'`s?

I heard you can screw out the poles with a regular allen wrench - can I totally unscrew them from the pickup? Or will I destroy the pickup like that?

well thanx 3 answers and sorry for my bad english :D

Greez Tinu

For those parts that can be unscrewed and raised off the plastic surface I use my little "Minimite" cordless dremel with a tiny wire wheel attachment. For the pickup pole pieces (I call them "buttons"), I use 320 to 400 grit sandpaper. Be careful so you don't scratch the surrounding plastic.

• 2 weeks later...

For those parts that can be unscrewed and raised off the plastic surface I use my little "Minimite" cordless dremel with a tiny wire wheel attachment. For the pickup pole pieces (I call them "buttons"), I use 320 to 400 grit sandpaper. Be careful so you don't scratch the surrounding plastic.

I use my dremel tool with a polishing wheel and Flitz on the pole pieces because it's gentle and has a rust inhibitor. For the plastic covers, a little plastic polish by hand works well.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...