See Through Paint Finish

Hey everyone

I am very new to the whole finishing of guitar process. I do however do paint work on cars for a living so i have access to any paint i could ever need! unfortunatly, i dont have the knowledge to do what i want to do.

I have seen many guitars that are painted, but the grain is still plain as day coming right through the paint. I know its not as simple as put a light coat on.. so whats the trick.. do you use a black grain filler? or is there something more to it.. Im in the beginning stages of building my next guitar and up until now, i have only done natural wood finishes. Its time to get more dangerous but i dont really like solid painted guitars (unless its a black les paul with cream color binding.. which is my next choice if i cant figure this out). Any resources links or personal knowledge will be very helpful. thanks in advance

Those two finishes are not what we would call "transparent" finishes. Those two guitars appear to be dyed. The first one has a quilted maple cap, the second one has a flamed maple cap. You'd apply a finish like this simply by dying the top wood, be it through one or several steps and colors, and then laying down your clear coat.

Go to stewmac.com. They have a nice selection of concentrated analine dyes. I use them for dying wood and for tinting my clearcoats.

peace,

russ

EDIT: You totally beat me to it, mikhailgtrski. I didn't even see your post.