Steel Nuts?

Ok so i was thinking about making my own nut for the guitar I'm building. Has anyone made a nut out of steel aluminium or copper. Is the copper or aluminium to soft? Is the steel to hard to work with without a grinder? I cant find any brass so I'm out of luck on that one. If you have used one of those materials what did you think of it? Did it effect the sound very much?

Hopefully that's not to many questions in one topic haha.

Thanks for listening

yngwie malmsteen uses brass nuts but i think they have a bad rep in a guitar mag of mine they were talking about new guitar gadgets, they recalled how brass nuts used to sell in bucket loads because they increased sustain, however it was very much the opposite. having said that all metals have different sonorus properties, it would be intersting to see how this works out good luck with it

Brass frets? That's a new one to me, though I'm sure it's been done somewhere at some time...

:D

The main hype behind brass in the 80's (and persisting even now) is that it supposedly added more mass = more sustain. Obviously mass and sustain have a relationship (more to do with the stability of string contact, which is a side-effect of parts with more mass in many circumstances), but not strictly in the way it was marketed. The way it was presented has more in common with what we call "tone voodoo" than physics.

If anyone knows how to make a nut like the one in this thread:

http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum2/HTML/009254.html

I'll be well pleased if you could share the secret. :D

Sorry, I've gone all night without sleep. The brass fret thing was a mistake (unless you are talking about Warwick basses), but the concept is still the same, having all of the contact points with the strings being metal rather than metal frets and plastic nut.

I'll be well pleased if you could share the secret. wink.gif

Looks like a roller nut to me... You can buy them, wilkinson make them, if thats what it is.

I'll be well pleased if you could share the secret. wink.gif

Looks like a roller nut to me... You can buy them, wilkinson make them, if thats what it is.

Roller nut or otherwise, it's non-radiused and has 8 string slots. :D I don't think Wilkinson makes or stocks such a thing.

Greg